PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
I've never had it but Peterson Hyde Park is supposed to be a Lakeland type blend according to people on tobaccoreviews.com. I think it's made for them by Gawith but I could be wrong about that.

Maybe worth a look to dip your toe in the water before the next Gawith drop.
Gawith used to make Hyde Park. STG has for several years now.

Oct 7, 2016
In addition to the sources listed by @python, Boswell’s, Watch City and Tobacco Pipes have GH. I know one US shop with an on line presence has SG in master case (100 tins) quantities that has not been listed yet because they are too busy with other things and package delivery to customers is a zoo right now. Iwan Ries has some SG tins.

A 20 ft. container load of GH for the US has been wrapped, labeled and packed, and should be on its way to Laudisi, pending trucking and shipping. Help is on the way.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I haven't tried too many Lakelands. I tried Ennerdale and was completely overwhelmed. Bobs Chocolate Flake had very minimal and have since found Stonehenge flake. I like SHF a ton and have stocked up on it. I find that G&H, with shipments being so sparse and being ripped apart as soon as it drops is not worth my time. I've got a few tins of Rum Flake, however after reading reviews I don't think it contains the Lakeland essence. For now, I'll be happy with my 2oz of Ennerdale for the next 10 years.

Oct 7, 2016
I haven't tried too many Lakelands. I tried Ennerdale and was completely overwhelmed. Bobs Chocolate Flake had very minimal and have since found Stonehenge flake. I like SHF a ton and have stocked up on it. I find that G&H, with shipments being so sparse and being ripped apart as soon as it drops is not worth my time. I've got a few tins of Rum Flake, however after reading reviews I don't think it contains the Lakeland essence. For now, I'll be happy with my 2oz of Ennerdale for the next 10 years.
Two years or so ago, people would have been screaming “grannies panties” at the mere mention of Rum Flake. Boswell’s has Bob’s Square Cut by the ounce, definitely a more “floral forward” blend than Boba Chocolate IMO.

Reactions: mingc

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I definitely notice a lakeland presence in Rum Flake. It's in the background, along with a lot of other great flavors. Bob's Chocolate is great and so is Stonehenge, but I find them to be pretty different smokes due to the Latakia in Bob's. If you like Stonehenge you'd also like Gawith Louisiana Perique Flake.

I love Ennerdale. I was just introduced to it last month with the big Gawith drop, but it has quickly become my favorite of the heavy hitter Lakelands.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
HU Sissinghurst has a similar essence as well

Synjeco out of switzerland also has a few proprietary blends made by gawith, mostly ropes (they are quite good, but not floral)
Funny you should mention, I just got a tin and I got it because it was advertised as Va/Bur. But I guess what makes a Lakeland ... or better said what makes a lakeland style of tobacco (it seems here to be a bit of DOC problem, similar to cognac vs brandy), is the topping. So now I am looking even more forward to opening this blend. What I found to be another German blend influenced by the lakeland genre is Dan Tobacco's Bulldog medium cut, which is advertised as an aromatic ... but has the anise/licorice/Tonquin scent.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Funny you should mention, I just got a tin and I got it because it was advertised as Va/Bur. But I guess what makes a Lakeland ... or better said what makes a lakeland style of tobacco (it seems here to be a bit of DOC problem, similar to cognac vs brandy), is the topping. So now I am looking even more forward to opening this blend. What I found to be another German blend influenced by the lakeland genre is Dan Tobacco's Bulldog medium cut, which is advertised as an aromatic ... but has the anise/licorice/Tonquin scent.
If you like lakeland essence you'll like it. Not exactly the same, but quite similar.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I definitely notice a lakeland presence in Rum Flake. It's in the background, along with a lot of other great flavors. Bob's Chocolate is great and so is Stonehenge, but I find them to be pretty different smokes due to the Latakia in Bob's. If you like Stonehenge you'd also like Gawith Louisiana Perique Flake.

I love Ennerdale. I was just introduced to it last month with the big Gawith drop, but it has quickly become my favorite of the heavy hitter Lakelands.
The latakia is so minimal though. SHF is close enough for me and I prefer the perique in it. I'd like to try Louisiana Perique Flake but it's always... I'm so tired of saying it.... out of stock as soon as it drops. At least I can count on SHF to be there. Unless G&H increases their production and I can see consistent inventory, I'll pass for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.