PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Prunetucky84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2020
Clovis, CA
I’m devastated... I’ve spent 2 years avidly search for the perfect meerschaum billiard, and finally found it a month ago. I wanted one as close to the Bremen Pipe smoker’s as possible, one of those proportions and with a burgundy acrylic stem instead of the cheap swirled plastic ones, and I found it in this lucky find of this SMS. When I received the pipe, I thoroughly examined it in excitement, and observed a slightly off colored line under the shank, but it was glass smooth, so I guessed it was just a natural difference in color of the natural meerschaum block. As I’ve smoked about 10 bowls through it now, it’s become very evident that it’s a crack..... you can feel it now too, as it must be splitting apart now.... I’m completely devastated, as it took me 2 years to find this..... I know a lot about briars, but not a whole lot about meers, so is there anything I can do to salvage and repair the pipe, or is it a lost cause???....... in the pics it’s hard to see exactly what I mean.305ADA72-2CF5-488A-AD5F-D267D63823A6.jpegE38F697A-A09B-47AF-A795-D4EBC51450E7.jpeg2744C8FB-82B4-4F65-9633-F29A45FE1E66.jpeg5BA5CD24-6638-4B27-A4D5-D5AE87FADA7D.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Great looking pipe. I hope you can find another.

The Turks would sell a lot more pipes if they would just make a set of standard French/English shapes in a smooth finish. I don’t get why they love such bizarre proportions and finishes.
because a lot of meer doesn't get smoked. There are a good number of people that collect them and have no interest in the tobacco side of the pipe experience.

Prunetucky84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2020
Clovis, CA
Great looking pipe. I hope you can find another.

The Turks would sell a lot more pipes if they would just make a set of standard French/English shapes in a smooth finish. I don’t get why they love such bizarre proportions and finishes.
I agree. It took me a long time to find a perfect meerschaum billiard.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I purchased a meer from my local store thrity years ago because it was perfect to my eye. The shop owner had purchsed it at a dealer show and the rep showed him where the bowl had broken away from the stem and that repair. I've smoked it for years without problem. It is slow in coloring but, I attribute that to the meerschaum itself, nothing to do with the nearly invisible repair. I do expect the "line" to become more visible as the coloring progresses. But, it smokes fine with the repair and is still a very pleasing smoking tool. So, good luck!

Prunetucky84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2020
Clovis, CA
I purchased a meer from my local store thrity years ago because it was perfect to my eye. The shop owner had purchsed it at a dealer show and the rep showed him where the bowl had broken away from the stem and that repair. I've smoked it for years without problem. It is slow in coloring but, I attribute that to the meerschaum itself, nothing to do with the nearly invisible repair. I do expect the "line" to become more visible as the coloring progresses. But, it smokes fine with the repair and is still a very pleasing smoking tool. So, good luck!
Thank for the story on your meer. That gives me hope going on with this!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I recently got very lucky and found this....

46CBE73C-C2CD-4305-AEC7-1813419BB88A-scaled.jpeg

I collect Comoy pipes and this is the first of these I have ever seen.