PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
Hello Fellow Pipe Puffers!

For some unknown reason, I have always wanted to try pipe smoking.

Now that I am a retired older Gentleman, I decided that now is finally the time.

I did my research and ordered a Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat "Apple" from Amazon.

Once I had that in hand, I needed Advice and pipe tobacco and I was lucky enough to end up at Barclays Pipe, Tobacco and Cigar. (Hopefully it's ok to post the name of the shop as I have no affiliation with them other than being a loyal customer).

When I arrived, their "Pipe Expert" was on duty and really took his time with me showing me all the basics on the proper way to fill, smoke and care for a pipe..

Nor did he try to sell me anything but what I needed.

A couple of bag's of tobacco, a Soft Flame Butane Lighter (for when wood kitchen matches weren't available or windy conditions) with built in pipe tools, a seperate 3 in 1 pipe tool just because I wanted it and a bag of pipe cleaners.

And then the collector side of my brain kicked in.

Yesterday my 3rd Missouri Meerschaum arrived, The Elf Cobbit to join the rest of my growing collection.

Now I am looking forward to picking the brains of, and getting to know the other members of this community!

Blessed Be ?

Unc

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This sounds like a good start. For future reference, I recommend the special edition MM pipes with acrylic stems, since I chew through the standard stock plastic fairly quickly. Growing up, I visited family in Ohio with my own family.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nice to know there are shops with pipe experts. Most shops seem to know less about pipes then they do about rocket science. Welcome. I've only been to Ohio once and I had a great time, though I had to ask a crack dealer for directions (he was very polite actually, and I bet you can guess pretty easily which part of Ohio I was visiting.) My friend got tickets to a show there (great show even if I tried to get in a fight with the opening act, well their singer and trust me he deserved it).

Reactions: lightmybriar

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
This sounds like a good start. For future reference, I recommend the special edition MM pipes with acrylic stems, since I chew through the standard stock plastic fairly quickly. Growing up, I visited family in Ohio with my own family.

Thanks for the advice!

Sadly, I suffer from a really bad Gag Reflex so chewing on the stem is not an issue with me.

That being said, I equip the stems of all of my pipes with those soft rubber tips so I can clench them between my molars for a minute or so.

But I will check out those stems!!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome from northern Illinois. I've been to Ohio a few times to visit Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Pro Football Hall of Fame, Cuyahoga Valley National Park...always enjoyed myself.

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
nice pipe. I hope it smokes at least half as good as it looks. :)

Thanks!

And it does smoke very well indeed.

The wind screen is actually quite useful. I have smoked this in 35 MPH winds.

Even more useful if I manage to knock it off of my desk onto the floor. No smouldering tobacco escapes!

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks!

And it does smoke very well indeed.

The wind screen is actually quite useful. I have smoked this in 35 MPH winds.

Even more useful if I manage to knock it off of my desk onto the floor. No smouldering tobacco escapes!
that's awesome. I personally really like churchwardens. A lot of people don't but honestly I find them great even if you can't clench them the whole time. Which I think leads to a better smoke anyways.

Reactions: UncleRJ

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
that's awesome. I personally really like churchwardens. A lot of people don't but honestly I find them great even if you can't clench them the whole time. Which I think leads to a better smoke anyways.

I AGREE ?

A high percentage of my pipes were either purchased as Churchwardens or I have had them converted to Churchwardens by having them fitted with longer stems.

BTW, if you have never researched/ Googled Churchwarden, IMHO extremely interesting.

Mike D

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2020
Greetings from a fellow Buckeye! Which Barclays do you go to, Dublin or Upper Arlington? There's a couple of other decent shops that have pipes/tobacco in the Columbus area. Shoot me a PM if you want additional info.

Welcome aboard!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Welcome, neighbor! I grew up in Columbus, and my family is still there. I live about 40 minutes north, now. The guys at Barclays are great, but if you want a much bigger selection of tobaccos, check out The Tinder Box at Karric Square! Pipes and Pleasures on the east side isn't bad either. Good to have you here!

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
Welcome, neighbor! I grew up in Columbus, and my family is still there. I live about 40 minutes north, now. The guys at Barclays are great, but if you want a much bigger selection of tobaccos, check out The Tinder Box at Karric Square! Pipes and Pleasures on the east side isn't bad either. Good to have you here!

Thanks and I will check those out ?

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Thanks and I will check those out ?
Pipes and pleasure's is great, but know that they are down to their last tins and are only carrying bulk from now on due to the rising cost. Lots of great pipes for sale there and you def should go check it out, too, but just a heads up that there was only maybe a couple dozen tins left. I still had a great time there, and they ought to be supported most in the area, so thats most important to consider. They def have the best events, so go to get put on their email list!

I'll second that that Kerric Sq Tinderbox seems to be the best overall option in the area for actual diversity of tins, the Tinderbox at Easton is pretty slim pickings and a very heavy cigar crowd.

Funny for a big as Cbus is in the pipe world that we don't have much left in terms of dedicated B&Ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.