PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
I smoked a whole bowl meandering over this. Personally I think it's some sort of artist or prank.

What started as routine wildlife assistance took an extraterrestrial turn for Utah's Department of Public Safety after officers stumbled upon a mysterious monolith in the middle of rural Utah.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's an interesting effort. It looks pretty heavy and would probably be weighty and require consider effort and equipment to place properly. The Forest Service, or whoever has jurisdiction, will have an interesting time sussing out local and other artists, and how they gained access and means of transport. Another helicopter? Pack mules towing it on wheels? It may not be as far from roads or trails as it looks. I'd be tempted to just let it stand, unless sculpture started cropping up around every rock formation.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Bigfoot, who is obviously an interdimensional biological entity (or is that intradimensional?) and a scout for aliens keeping an eye on mankind, planted it. Exactly why would aliens (and Bigfoot) plant such a device? Only the folks at Area 51 would know the answer to that question.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Definitely a public art installation. I wanna go find it! I have spent quite a bit of time in Utah's red rock country, and it's truly spectacular country. Anyone who has spent time in the backcountry there can attest to the fact that someone could easily install something like this in a small side canyon and have it go undiscovered for four years. The isolation and solitude that can be achieved there is one of the most spectacular things about the area.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't hear about its disappearance. The people who investigated said it was installed using a stone saw, probably to cut out a hole that would hold it up. The main concern is that they don't want every undergraduate art student to feel honor bound to plant their metal sculpture at a national park. This one is high grade sculpture, lots of refined metal work and quality stainless steal, but many wouldn't be. Too bad this kind of work can't be donated to cities where the monotony of urban planning serves as heavy intravenous sedation on most of us. I think they have a short list of "suspect" artists. It may have been done as a tribute to an artist who'd died. I hope they don't make an example of this person or group, but can figure out other ways to discourage this as a fad.

Status
Not open for further replies.