PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Did Nording call this an egg or a scoop? It's very handsome. Are the chamber walls over-reamed or just carved thin? Nording is known for his engineering background. I like the flared squared up stem and didn't notice the fit at the shank. It's a beauty, and I'm betting it will be a fine, long session smoker. That bowl looks like it holds a world of tobacco, for one long session, or relights over a day or two.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
Nice pipe, let a little cake build up. I just bought a Savinelli Oom Paul that was thin also and after a few days it’s gotten much better.

Reactions: bnichols23

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Enjoy the hell out of it!

I will try!

Did Nording call this an egg or a scoop? It's very handsome. Are the chamber walls over-reamed or just carved thin?
It was advertised as an 'egg' shape and that's good enough for me!

The walls are normally that thin. I don't think it was over reamed, the pipe looks like it was smoked very lightly over its 30-odd year lifespan.

Very nice pipe. I gravitate more to square and diamond shanks.

Thank you! There's certainly a sense of solidity from a square stem, especially a thick one.

I'm going to give it a quick clean, disinfect, and polish today. I'm looking forward to the inaugural smoke!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
What are you doing here? Is that Rock Salt in the bowl? Please explain

Whenever I get an estate, whether to keep or to sell, one of my steps is the salt and alcohol treatment. It involves plugging the shank with a Q-tip wrapped in plastic wrap, filling the bowl with kosher salt, and adding alcohol (in my case vodka) and letting it soak for at least 24 hours. As the pipe sits, tars, gunk, and whatever flavour might have been in the briar get wicked away.

After the salt is flushed away I will fill it with damp coffee grounds to get the remaining ghosts.

Take a look at the pipe now, after sitting for 6 or so hours.

P_20201028_151438.jpg

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
And the coffee grinds don’t leave a ghost? I love coffee but I’ve never smoked it.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
Any tips on de-ghosting a system pipe? I’ve got a sweet little Savinelli 620 Oom Paul on the way, my second one. The first was not a system though.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Any tips on de-ghosting a system pipe? I’ve got a sweet little Savinelli 620 Oom Paul on the way, my second one. The first was not a system though.

It shouldn't matter too much what the shape is. Maybe use a finer salt to get into all the little spots in there? The trick is to leave the pipe be and let the salt and alcohol do it's thing. I should add that this is only for briar, not for a meer.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.