PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
A couple months ago I ordered a Nording churchwarden pipe. I was a bit surprised by two characteristics that did not seem to be impressed upon me when I reviewed the pictures of the pipe at the time of selection on the SP website. It was huge in my hand and the finish was very hard and almost plastic feeling. Like holding a billiard ball. It smoked ok but wasn’t very comfortable to hold while commuting to and from work. While I fully expected that there would be blemishes and other unsightly things lying beneath the finish, I grabbed my Dremel tool, some sandpaper and some wax and decided to alter the pipe. In about an hour and a half I ended up with a pipe that I much prefer smoking now. With a little more time I probably could have made a better job of the shape and finish but for my purposes I am much happier with the pipe now. There were a total of three sand pits and I left them unfilled as they don’t bother me at all.
Nording Before.jpg
Nording After.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a distinct improvement. You got lucky with the pits and the grain, but you won the gamble. I agree, I wouldn't want to drive with a churchwarden, but I don't smoke when I drive anyway. Stogy old me, I'd have waited to see if the pipe as delivered would grow in its appeal, but you dove right in and got it right.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
That's a distinct improvement. You got lucky with the pits and the grain, but you won the gamble. I agree, I wouldn't want to drive with a churchwarden, but I don't smoke when I drive anyway. Stogy old me, I'd have waited to see if the pipe as delivered would grow in its appeal, but you dove right in and got it right.
I don't have the patience or the optimism to wait for its appeal to change. I also thought it was a good way to see how briar was to work with. I was fully prepared to have a pipe that met my handling requirements but looked like hell. I'll have to make one from scratch now.

Reactions: sumusfumus

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I applaud the cojones it took to sand away, and change what you disliked. You threw the dice and gambled for the best outcome.

Glad you got what you wanted.

Reactions: Kozeman
Status
Not open for further replies.