PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Happy Weekend everybody! My newest pipe, a beautiful Poul Winslow bent apple arrived earlier this week. (5.76L x 1.90H x 1.90Ext Dia/ Chamber Int: 1.44H x .84D) Wicked allergies have prevented an inaugural bowl so far, but hopefully I should be good to go by this evening (plz, plz, plz lol). I almost always break in my new pipes with Three Nuns or C&D's Opening Night, two of my simple all-time favorites. Thought about maybe switchin things up this time around. The Rattrays and FVF are fairly new, while the Three Nuns has a few years on it. I've never tried HOTW (i know smh!!) or the 40. FVF is FVF, and that's a gooood thing. Apologies for the mini-reflections on the bowl... I'm obviously not a photographer. Beautiful craftsmanship, Mr. Winslow! Much appreciation, and many thanks!2D226286-CBC3-41A5-B288-60C0D51D51CC.jpeg

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
I used to be a big fan of Winslow hand made graded pipes. What grade is yours? I will guess a C or a B. I owned half a dozen at one point with the highest grade being a B. His pipes smoke great. If he used Ebonite on the stems I would still own half a dozen or more. I hope you love your new pipe, congrats.
Thank-you so much, CM! And yes, an Ebonite stem would be the cherry on top and then some! I had to hit SP's website to look up my grading (B). Since Mr. Winslow's pipes are new to me, I did my homework, and really liked what I was finding. I'm glad I stepped outta my Italian pipe maker comfort zone for a minute (soon to return tho, w/ 1 already in transit lol). I started looking at several other smaller independent shops, and now have a nice list. Poul's shop is sooo cool. Thank-you again for the kind words. Nice to hear from somebody with a nice collection of his wonderful pipes!

Attachments

• 23E1D18A-A993-47DF-BAD0-6A58FFBEFF03.jpeg
    23E1D18A-A993-47DF-BAD0-6A58FFBEFF03.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 21
  • E0BA5319-337D-4754-B8F2-FDBFCF7B6331.jpeg
    E0BA5319-337D-4754-B8F2-FDBFCF7B6331.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 81375CF4-8B04-4B37-8227-3498BFD8AA1A.jpeg
    81375CF4-8B04-4B37-8227-3498BFD8AA1A.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 21

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thank-you so much, CM! And yes, an Ebonite stem would be the cherry on top and then some! I had to hit SP's website to look up my grading (B). Since Mr. Winslow's pipes are new to me, I did my homework, and really liked what I was finding. I'm glad I stepped outta my Italian pipe maker comfort zone for a minute (soon to return tho, w/ 1 already in transit lol). I started looking at several other smaller independent shops, and now have a nice list. Poul's shop is sooo cool. Thank-you again for the kind words. Nice to hear from somebody with a nice collection of his wonderful pipes!
A " B " is only 2 grades down from the top. Private Collector is tops then A. I have seen plenty of B's that beat A's. He knows how to get grain out of a pipe. I bet the bottom of the pipe is loaded with gorgeous Birdseye.
I have a feeling this won't be your last Winslow. Let us know how it smokes when you get it.

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
A " B " is only 2 grades down from the top. Private Collector is tops then A. I have seen plenty of B's that beat A's. He knows how to get grain out of a pipe. I bet the bottom of the pipe is loaded with gorgeous Birdseye.
I have a feeling this won't be your last Winslow. Let us know how it smokes when you get it.
You're so right, CM.. this will definitely not be my last pipe from Poul Winslow. Here's the Birdseye you were referring to. I'd say that qualifies? 60E924CF-C1A6-4997-8FE1-3D6FE1DD2CCB.jpegAs soon as my allergies clear, I'm loading it with one of the tins from my first post! Thanks, amigo!

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Congrats unclemax, great looking pipe. Winslow is a very solid maker that doesn't always get the headlines, but from the handmades to even the couple mass-mades I have they have always been good lookers and smokers.
Sam I allllmost bought another Winslow last week true story! Then my ADD brain went a diff direction, and back to Italy. I anticipate a second in the near future.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You're so right, CM.. this will definitely not be my last pipe from Poul Winslow. Here's the Birdseye you were referring to. I'd say that qualifies? View attachment 47225As soon as my allergies clear, I'm loading it with one of the tins from my first post! Thanks, amigo!
I knew that puppy would be loaded with Birdseye. I don't know how he does it as every pipe I owned from him had it