PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I'm interested in a corncob pipe. However, I am a stickler for stem work. Is there a corncob with a decent stem? I smoke Dunhills, Larsens, etc. Suggestions?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Like edger said MM offers cobs with acrylic stems. Forever stems offers acrylic and ebonite replacements. MM also offers danish stems that are a bit more durable than the plastic stems offered on most cobs. I have all of them and they have their place depending on the occasion. I personally like the cheap plastic stems. They clench perfectly like when I'm working outside. They can pinch over time and restrict flow but nothing a small flat head screwdriver cant fix. The pipes are great and I own many due to how well they smoke. So to answer your question, you have many options to choose from if you want to change the stem.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Look for older MM cobs on ebay. I think the ones with a M on the stem. But I am guessing since you can refurb pipes, you could probably tweek the stem to your preference. I have also taken a stem blank and sanded the tenon down for a cob, then smoothed the rest out. It is much better than any other cob stems.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have about a dozen cobs. I struggle with the idea of spending two to four times as much for a stem as I do for the pipe. Were I going to smoke a cob often, I suppose I'd have to bite the bullet and purchase better stems. As it is, I just live with the cheap plastic stems that come with them.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I have about a dozen cobs. I struggle with the idea of spending two to four times as much for a stem as I do for the pipe. Were I going to smoke a cob often, I suppose I'd have to bite the bullet and purchase better stems. As it is, I just live with the cheap plastic stems that come with them.
Took the words right off my mouth. Makes no sense to be spending twice as much and then replace the cob and keep the stem when the former gets its bottom burnt through. What's next? Forever Filters? Keep the filter and replace the pipe?

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I made vulcanite stems for my ones that get smoked the most. Under normal conditions, the plastic bits would be fine. My problem with them is that I smoke while I’m working on knives, and any time I put any physical exertion into anything, like hammering at the anvil or filing down guards, it’s just a natural tendency for me to bite down on the bit a little harder than I should. Over time, they kind of get pinched and look bad. Vulcanite is my “Goldilocks” stem material for my “shop pipes.” Acrylic is too hard, and the original plastic bits are too soft. Now if I’m just sitting down and relaxing with a bowl, any material is fine.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I made vulcanite stems for my ones that get smoked the most. Under normal conditions, the plastic bits would be fine. My problem with them is that I smoke while I’m working on knives, and any time I put any physical exertion into anything, like hammering at the anvil or filing down guards, it’s just a natural tendency for me to bite down on the bit a little harder than I should. Over time, they kind of get pinched and look bad. Vulcanite is my “Goldilocks” stem material for my “shop pipes.” Acrylic is too hard, and the original plastic bits are too soft. Now if I’m just sitting down and relaxing with a bowl, any material is fine.

I favor vulcanite myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.