PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Not a thing, never had to replace one.

Same, pretty much. I just buy the Missouri meerschaum “danish bits” which come stock on some of the MM pipes, and can be had for about a buck a piece. They aren’t much to write home about, but they’re an upgrade over the cheaper stock stems and have been good enough that I’ve not felt compelled to buy any cob forever stems, though I’ve thought about it at times.

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
R.I.P. Walker Briar Works. They worked on many a pipe of mine. Always did great work and great customer service.

tomatamot

Part of the Furniture Now
May 26, 2020
EU
The best corncob replacement stem:
Germanus

p.s. I do not smoke any corncob without an acrylic replacement stem!

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought several Forever stems under the old ownership, standard lengths that could be shortened to order. I think the new ones are essentially the same items, but I'm not sure of all the details. Since, I've gone to buying the special editions from MM that come with acrylic stems stock. They've done collaborations with Dagner and C&D on these. I chew through the basic MM stems in a year or two, but the pipes can last for decades. The special editions cost about $24 and I've been pleased with their solidity and ample bowls, and it is less expense to start with the acrylic stems.

Reactions: FurCoat

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I have a few cobs with 20+ years of use and the original stems are still in great shape. Minor gripes I might have with the mold injected stems are that they feel “gummy” compared to vulcanite when clenched and are not as aesthetically pleasing as vulcanite or acrylic.
I did order a couple forever stems and although they are beautiful I am not sure I prefer them in actual use. Perhaps it due to the years of using the stock stems, but they feel strangely out of place on my cobs. I am open to them, but may switch back to the originals. It’s subjective, but to me they seem an overblown solution in relation to the cob and the whole idea of what a cob should be. Gilding the lily perhaps.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I made vulcanite stems for my most-smoked cobs.
Black Vulcanite I can see as an proportional upgrade.

This is an analogy that may only work stateside, but ever been sitting at a stoplight and glance over at the car next to you and see a guy who has an old faded red Camaro that is half primer colored, crack windshield, missing bumper but has put $2,500 in fancy wheels and tires on it?
Acrylic stems on cobs vaguely give me the, “that’s not right“ feeling.

tomatamot

May 26, 2020
EU
Black Vulcanite I can see as an proportional upgrade.

This is an analogy that may only work stateside, but ever been sitting at a stoplight and glance over at the car next to you and see a guy who has an old faded red Camaro that is half primer colored, crack windshield, missing bumper but has put $2,500 in fancy wheels and tires on it?
Acrylic stems on cobs vaguely give me the, “that’s not right“ feeling.
I agreed, but I like the Acrylic stems "madly".
?‍♂️

Reactions: peregrinus

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I take the contrary position. I think MM’s cobs are too good to be let down so badly by the stock stems, which are unnecessarily cheap and nasty. MM should make acrylic the new standard, even if they have to add a dollar to the price.
I agree. It's the one thing I don't like about their standard models. They're cheap stems that start deforming if you think about clenching it.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have a few forever stems and they are ok. They look great and I like MM's offerings with acrylic stems. That being said, I have grown to love the original stems. So much so that I keep half a dozen replacements on hand. After a while the stem will flatten and restrict the flow. Push a small/thin flat head screw driver into the bit and problem solved. My cobs are my work horses and I treat them with all the care of my best briars.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Same, pretty much. I just buy the Missouri meerschaum “danish bits” which come stock on some of the MM pipes, and can be had for about a buck a piece. They aren’t much to write home about, but they’re an upgrade over the cheaper stock stems and have been good enough that I’ve not felt compelled to buy any cob forever stems, though I’ve thought about it at times.

I don't really understand which stems fit which pipes.. Which pipes do the danish bits fit?

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I have a few Forever Stems for my cobs. I know they are relatively expensive, but they make the cobs a better all-around smoking experience, in my opinion. A cob with a Forever stem will set you back around $30, but they smoke great and are very durable.

I mean, come on....look at these sexy devils:

IMG_20201004_182255.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a few Forever Stems for my cobs. I know they are relatively expensive, but they make the cobs a better all-around smoking experience, in my opinion. A cob with a Forever stem will set you back around $30, but they smoke great and are very durable.

I mean, come on....look at these sexy devils:

View attachment 45387
$50 could've gotten you this.?

20200503_111727.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.