PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
My only poker is the pipe in my profile pic, an OMS Cherrywood poker. It's probably pretty similar to the Dagner pokers out there, as I believe that Dagner and OMS pipes are made in the same factory in Italy. Either way, it's a sitter and a great smoker.

I like the OMS “Dragon Pup” poker a lot. It would come as no surprise to me that they’re made on the same line as the Dagners.

dragonpoker3.jpg

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
How does the carbon fiber stem work? Does it go into the bottom of the bowl like a cob? I've always shied away from these because of the stem. It looks messy and likely to pop out.
The carbon stem is very sturdy and well attached.

It doesn't go into the bottom of the bowl, it is aligned with the wall of the bowl.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
Thanks to all for the recommendations. I kept being drawn back to the Dagner, loving the flame effect rustication of the bowl, and the Danish Pipe Shop got an order out of me yesterday.

The suggestions to give Savinelli’s pokers a look added a few others to my wish list. I‘m really jonesing for this one now:

2-D17747-F-13-AF-43-D1-950-A-CDED7835-E2-C7.jpg
How long did it take to come from DPS?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Fine looking pokers here.

I've had my eye on the Savinelli pokers. Just to many good looking one's to choose from, I can't make up my mind. And you can't beat the prices with a stick. One for every budget really.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
I cracked like an egg and ordered the Savinelli I posted above (a St Nicholas 2018 311KS). Found one hanging round a UK dealer at quite a discount to the published price. I just love the stem in the colours of the Italian flag!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I had a poker I just sent out to be sold. It smoked fine but I just hated the look. I don't know why. I like a nice Cherrywood, but the Poker is just butt ugly to me. If I could explain why I would but I just cannot verbalize why I hate it.

My guess is that I see Chambers smoking them all the time and it just doesn't go with his stash. Maybe if he cut that caterpillar off his face I might like the poker better.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Funny. My journey mirrors yours in reverse. I started with pokers for its utilitarian aspects but now I'm a straight billiard man. I do miss sitting pipes, though.

It really depends on what's your budget, but for 40 bucks you can get a Morgan Bones short/stubby poker which was my office desk pipe for a long time. A very solid option for a very durable and enjoyable pipe.

For over 100 and under 200: My current office desk pipe is the briarworks classic (which is not stubby) but has a somewhat narrow chamber which I very much approve. I also like the slim design and its dramatic canted foot. I see others have already recommended this pipe and I agree, it's simply great. For other options from the same company you should look into moonshine stokers, which are as stubby as they come. Also another great design.

To my understanding, stubby pokers are very american in design and you won't find too many examples of this shape in catalogues from european marquees such as Savinelli or Stanwell. I recommend you go american for this. Bones if low budget, briarworks if medium priced.

I personally strongly dislike dagner pipes but if that pipe is calling for you, maybe you'll regret not answering.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Fine looking pokers here.

I've had my eye on the Savinelli pokers. Just to many good looking one's to choose from, I can't make up my mind. And you can't beat the prices with a stick. One for every budget really.
I wonder if they come with an adaptor if you don't want to use the filter.

Reactions: lightxmyfire
Status
Not open for further replies.