2nd Pipe Project - Chimney Pipe (In Progress Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
How did you produce the texture?

Also, you don't need to stain it—unless you do.....
Yeah... I’ve been dabbling with the idea of not but I had it in my head that I was going to try some form of contrast.

It’s only the second one so I feel like experimenting is what it’s all about. Can always dye it a dark brown if it doesn’t work. I know I like that. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kurtbob

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
How did you produce the texture?

Also, you don't need to stain it—unless you do.....
Apologies - I missed your question there. I sank 6 small nails in A handle I made from some milliput paste, pressed into the briar and twisted.
Took a few hours but I like how it turned out!

Last edited:

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Great results, the texture you’ve created goes well with the design.
Thanks!
That rustication is fantastic! Any chance we could get a pic of the tool you made? I'm wondering how the nails are arranged.
Looks great. You could do a fumed(?) stain finish and it would look like a perfect roasted marshmallow. I love that look.
Thanks all! The staining didn’t go quite as planned ? but that’s okay - still learning and I like black pipes... thankfully

I’ll take a picture of the tool tonight, though it’s very rudimentary I warn you now... Dont be expecting anything ‘professional’ ?

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Thanks!

Thanks all! The staining didn’t go quite as planned ? but that’s okay - still learning and I like black pipes... thankfully

I’ll take a picture of the tool tonight, though it’s very rudimentary I warn you now... Dont be expecting anything ‘professional’ ?
Here’s that picture I promised. It’s not pretty, but it works.

In hindsight, I’d recommend taking a tube around half inch/1 inch diameter, cutting it off to a 3 inch strip, putting milliput epoxy in one end and sinking the nails in until theyre all snug against the walls. You could then press them down on the bench to flatten before putting a wooden palm rest on the other end of the tube (think hand brace handle sort of thing).

this was my prototype and I’ll be doing the above as and when I get round to it
This would give you more nails over a wider area (so quicker and easier), and the tube would offer them support not to become loose
21352E7E-1D02-4E48-A597-33670833BA31.jpeg 1029E52E-6816-4B31-AF75-40B04A61DD9E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.