PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
What's the take on storing daily tobacco rotation(tins jars bags) and recently smoked pipes in one's bedroom? Anyone have wives that have a problem with this? I have been doing it for years but now thinking about it was considering moving all of it to the basement or garage. I realize that you do heavy breathing at night and a 'clean' environment is probably beneficial for health? I know firsthand that smokey hotel rooms and corridors back in the 20th century were disgusting.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
If you smoke in your home, I suppose it wouldn’t matter if stored in your bedroom if that is your preference. I keep all mine in a extra storage closet off of a hallway leading into my home.

The pipes I have displayed in racks in my living room. I no longer smoke inside though. I’ve done it a few times and couldn’t tolerate the stale smoke on the furniture. I would like to have a dedicated smoking room inside with head pumping the smoke outside but that’s just not in the cards right now.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
Yeech not for me. I don't mind the smell of smoke while I'm smoking, but the smell of a used pipe or ashes is too acrid to be just wafting around in the house for the heck of it.

I smoke in the garage with some of the doors cracked open for airflow. Not easy to do in the extremes of summer or winter but the shoulder seasons are great time to spend out there with a pipe. The used pipes are then left there until the next day when I can clean them next to an outdoor trash can.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
"The bedroom would be the perfect room environment-wise to store my tobacco.
It's almost always cooler than the rest of the house and the humidity is lower too."
-
me pitching this glorious idea to my non-smoker girlfriend

In any case, my tobacco will probably remain in the storage room in the small neighbouring building.
The humidity sometimes rises up to 65% RH when it rains heavily but temperatures are generally pretty cool and stable.
On the plus side, I have a TV there and can enjoy some peace, quiet and weatherproof smoking sessions. puffy

Be happy with what you got and all that. ?

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I got a good chuckle out of this thread. My wife would go ballistic if I brought bulk jars and a couple pipes to the bedroom for storage. I wouldn't go there personally or you might wake up one morning and find her hobby (crystal cat figures, porcelain ballerinas, minnie mouse magnets, etc) lined up on display in your man cave or intermingled with your tools in the garage. There are two rooms I never mess with: the bedroom and the kitchen. Everything else is fair game in my house.

If you have a basement I say take it over and turn it into your tobacco headquarters.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have around 60+ jars of tobacco. Most are under our bed. Since they are sealed, except when I am loading a pipe, it doesn't matter. A bigger issue is that my pipes are stored fairly close to our bedroom. Since she has not complained, I guess this is not a problem.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I keep a couple pipes on my dresser, they don't seem to put off much of an odor. I keep most of my pipes on our main floor and will smoke my pipe in the living room ...my house is pretty 'open' and I sit next to a window, the smell doesn't ever really travel that far and there isn't a 'stale smoke' smell in the house. I may just be lucky --I also keep ashes in old candle jars that have tight lids; I /do/ think open ash trays can stink a place up. ...just my two cents!

I wouldn’t be able to sleep without the aroma of tobacco around me. My pipes are all rinsed with water and have NO smells, and I don’t see any danger in just smelling unburned tobacco.
But, I can’t even imagine not smoking in the house. It fills it with such a homey wonderful aroma, as long as it’s not a nasty latakia or aromatic.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I used to smoke everything and everywhere in my home and my wife would never complain about it. Never in the bedroom at night just because I don't hang out in my bedrooms. Her father was a pipe smoker and she thought it was nice to have pipe tobacco scent around her. I thought I was very fortunate considering how many people complained about having to smoke in their garage in the winter or put up with 100 degree weather in the summer. Then I tired of the yellow haze and old tobacco stink on my walls. I stopped smoking inside for practical matters. I don't like having to get the yellow haze and stink off my walls. Plus, I now have a very nice enclosed outdoor area to smoke. I keep all my tobacco and pipes in a dedicated room.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Both the wife and I smoke and neither of us takes it to the bedroom with us.
I know many people who are the same way - but why?
I wouldn’t be able to sleep without the aroma of tobacco around me. My pipes are all rinsed with water and have NO smells, and I don’t see any danger in just smelling unburned tobacco.
But, I can’t even imagine not smoking in the house. It fills it with such a homey wonderful aroma, as long as it’s not a nasty latakia or aromatic.
Do you rinse 'em in hot water after every smoke? Best practice for using water -

Reactions: kcghost
Do you rinse 'em in hot water after every smoke? Best practice for using water -
Sometimes, but I am also a little lazy. Most of the time, I just set the pipes that I've smoked on a table next to the bathroom, and rinse them all before bed. I keep some pipecleaners and a roll of paper towels in there, to facilitate cleaning, and I also have a towel I use to buff them a little after rinsing. But, my pipes give off no odors after that. It really is amazing how well just water can keep your pipes in pristine condition.