Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Dinopuffin was a on-line retailer based out of Cesenatico, Italy.

Nice! Interesting that eliminating the space between "Dino" and "Puffin" resulted in some info. Thanks for this...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
SJ does that square shank on various shapes, like on my blast Dublin, stamped 52 in a circle, with Per Aspera Ad Astra. The shank and stem are in a sort of serpentine curve, S shape. SJ's are fine pipes. Yours has that magnificent metal work, amazing.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
3rdguy inspired me to eliminate the space between 'Dino' and 'Puffin' which resulted in the following,

"The pipe "DINOPUFFIN" are made by Mario Pascucci, the pipemaker for Mastro de Paja". He has made pipes for Mastro de Paja for 30 years. He recently retired but continuse to work under the brand name "DINOPUFFIN". It has "dinopuffin" stamped on it. Hand made in Italy."

Not sure if this helps solve the mystery or simply cloud things.... perhaps Mario Pascucci both made pipes and sold "guest pipes" as a small online retailer?

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
7charb, I had to do a double-take when I saw the photos of your SJ DinoPuffin. I snagged this one off the Bay the other day. The stamping reads 2001 3:

sjDinoPuffin01_01.jpg

sjDinoPuffin01_02.jpg

The seller also listed rusticated and sandblast versions of the same SJ For DinoPuffin square-shanked Rhodesian. I was hoping to get the smooth & sandblast versions to make a nice set but lost the sandblast at the last second.

I saw the same info about Mario Pascucci being the maker of DinoPuffin pipes. This may be true for the DinoPuffins originating from Mastro de Paja but it seems unlikely that he made the SJ branded pipes. Mario was the master pipemaker for Mastro de Paja for many years before forming his own brand.

• Love
Reactions: canucklehead

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
7charb, I had to do a double-take when I saw the photos of your SJ DinoPuffin. I snagged this one off the Bay the other day. The stamping reads 2001 3:

View attachment 43984

View attachment 43985

The seller also listed rusticated and sandblast versions of the same SJ For DinoPuffin square-shanked Rhodesian. I was hoping to get the smooth & sandblast versions to make a nice set but lost the sandblast at the last second.

I saw the same info about Mario Pascucci being the maker of DinoPuffin pipes. This may be true for the DinoPuffins originating from Mastro de Paja but it seems unlikely that he made the SJ branded pipes. Mario was the master pipemaker for Mastro de Paja for many years before forming his own brand.

Nice! I am really enjoying the twin to this pipe. I think you are spot on about Mario Pascucci not necessarily making pipes with the designation 'For DinoPuffin '. I think he made his own pipes, sold them online, but also sold "guest pipes' as well (term borrowed from microbreweries who pour their own beers as well as feature a few 'guest taps' - I love beer!). He may have made special arrangements with some pipemakers to have his alter ego/ID placed on those guest pipes. Anyway, that is my assumption.

Reactions: kcghost

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
They are beautiful pipes! That silverwork is to die for and it's what really attracted me.

I know I’ve seen that silverwork design before, or at least something very similar, on another SJ awhile back. Turns out it’s on this SJ L2 Opus Rhodesian that’s still listed on eBay. Nice piece but I like this pipe better.

It's a great smoker after undergoing a much-needed cleaning.

Reactions: Humblepipe
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
A recent EBeast purchase. The pipe smokes like a dream. It is my one and only Ser Jacopo. The seller could provide no info on the pipe. I have attempted to do some research. Nothing. I tried to find an email address for the pipemaker. If it is out there, I could not find it. The "for Dino Puffin" is most amusing. Any ideas, gents?

View attachment 42570View attachment 42571View attachment 42572View attachment 42573
Nice piece of wood.Jacopo has turned out some nice ones.

Reactions: Humblepipe
Status
Not open for further replies.