PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohone

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
Has anyone ever tried adding a personal etching in their pipe after you purchased the finished product?

I'm wondering how I would go about doing that, and whether or not if it's possible after being waxed.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Has anyone ever tried adding a personal etching in their pipe after you purchased the finished product?

I'm wondering how I would go about doing that, and whether or not if it's possible after being waxed.
Anything is possible if you feel like refinishing the pipe. They do make hobby blocks. Essentially pre-drilled blocks with a stem. You carve the stummel. Maybe that would be up your alley. I’ve done a few of them. Most turned into good smokers, and were fun to carve.

Reactions: canucklehead

Nohone

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
Anything is possible if you feel like refinishing the pipe. They do make hobby blocks. Essentially pre-drilled blocks with a stem. You carve the stummel. Maybe that would be up your alley. I’ve done a few of them. Most turned into good smokers, and were fun to carve.

I've considered it, and I may in the future, but I would just be content with modifying my current one. Any pointers? I've heard you need to keep it pretty damp. I'm wondering how that would work being that it's already been finished with wax.

Also wondering what tool would I use to etch?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I've considered it, and I may in the future, but I would just be content with modifying my current one. Any pointers? I've heard you need to keep it pretty damp. I'm wondering how that would work being that it's already been finished with wax.

Also wondering what tool would I use to etch?
Oh. I assumed you were talking about a briar pipe. Sounds like you are talking about a meerschaum. You soak it in water. It carves like soap once it’s wet. It takes a good solid week to dry back out once you’re done. There are YouTube videos of guys in Turkey carving them.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

Nohone

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
Oh. I assumed you were talking about a briar pipe. Sounds like you are talking about a meerschaum. You soak it in water. It carves like soap once it’s wet. It takes a good solid week to dry back out once you’re done. There are YouTube videos of guys in Turkey carving them.

Well yeah, I posted this in the Meerschaum subsection ;).

I was specifically wondering if there is anything to carving a Meer after it's been finished though. Is it the same process as an unfinished meer?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Well yeah, I posted this in the Meerschaum subsection ;).

I was specifically wondering if there is anything to carving a Meer after it's been finished though. Is it the same process as an unfinished meer?
Hell, I didn’t even see there was a meerschaum subsection ?
I’ve never tried messing with one that’s already been smoked, but I guess it’d be the same process. ?‍♂️
If it’s smooth, I’d lightly sand the wax off with some 1,000 grit before soaking it. The thing about meerschaum is that if you’re looking for a smooth high gloss finish, it’s tough. What happens is once you get above 1,500 grit or so, all sandpaper looks the same, because the meerschaum dust itself is abrasive and makes its own scratches. Be aware of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.