Does Anyone Here Use DVD Cloner Software?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some years ago a pal put me onto some software called DVD Cloner. Their claims were their software could copy ANY dvd like for like, bypassing any protection on the host disc. I sent off for it (somewhere in the States) and my disc arrived. I loaded it onto my then Vista PC and just as advertised, it copied any disc I put into the disc tray.

Some years later they offered me a free update that included updated disc protection bypassing. Since that time it never worked properly for me.

I'm looking to buy the latest version which again produces 1:1 copies of any disc including Blu Ray and gaming discs though the latter doesn't interest me. Can anyone recommend this latest version? I'm now running Windows 10.

Just for clarity, I only copy discs for archiving purposes.

Regards,

Jay.?

Jun 23, 2019
Some years ago a pal put me onto some software called DVD Cloner. Their claims were their software could copy ANY dvd like for like, bypassing any protection on the host disc. I sent off for it (somewhere in the States) and my disc arrived. I loaded it onto my then Vista PC and just as advertised, it copied any disc I put into the disc tray.

Some years later they offered me a free update that included updated disc protection bypassing. Since that time it never worked properly for me.

I'm looking to buy the latest version which again produces 1:1 copies of any disc including Blu Ray and gaming discs though the latter doesn't interest me. Can anyone recommend this latest version? I'm now running Windows 10.

Regards,

Jay.?

"Your honor, I'm not *using* any of the money I'm stealing, just for archiving purposes."

You're asking for equipment to break the law. It may have been a grey area in the tech's infancy but now I believe those legal loop holes have been closed.

I sympathesize with your intentions, but you're asking for equipment to break the law.

Reactions: skeeter456
Jun 9, 2018
England

Regards,

Jay.?

I don't know anything about copying dvd's Jay but I know people rip the dvd and turn it into a digital format so you can put it on a hard drive. I looked into it a couple of years ago but my collection of dvds is very large and I couldn't be arsed. It's a versatile way to watch as once it's on a hard drive you can view from anywhere as long as you've got an Internet connection.
I realise it isn't the same but maybe it's an option?

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"but you're asking for equipment to break the law."

No I am not, not all discs are copy protected. That the software is capable of something doesn't mean it has to be used. Also, the software comes from an American address, freely available to all who wish to see it. If the product was illegal they would have been raided years ago.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

No I am not, not all discs are copy protected. That the software is capable of something doesn't mean it has to be used. Also, the software comes from an American address, freely available to all who wish to see it. If the product was illegal they would have been raided years ago.

Regards,

Jay.
Not true. You can legally buy And possess all the parts to make a rifle fully auto, you just can’t install them. Things aren’t like the UK here. They don’t outlaw the item they outlaw the action. It’s called “non-nanny”.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I used to attempt this many years ago and tried "trials" of several different software suites to get the job done. It seemed hit or miss. Some software worked, other software didn't, and the DVD itself was often a variable. I believe I used DAEMON tools with some success for a while.

That was a long time ago and I imagine that it would not work as easily now. There is somewhat of an "arms race" in this regard, with software require ever-more sophisticated methods to copy a DVD. Check "Commercial DVD protection schemes" at the link below.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"In your case the update may have removed some functionality...."

I never considered that. However, this particular software package prides itself on its capability to beat any encryption codes. It's still a bit of a mystery to me as to why it stopped functioning correctly.

I might just bite the bullet and buy the new version.

I would also like to point out, I would sometimes use the software to omit certain music tracks I wasn't too fond of in live concerts, thereby giving me a concert that provided me with the music I preferred.

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just found this for the naysayers....

"DVD ripping of copyrighted works is still considered illegal in the United States, but several organizations continue working to make it legal for purchasers of a copyrighted DVD to rip copies for personal use only. Some other countries have already made it legal, and the case of the UK is one good example."

Regards,

Jay.

Jun 23, 2019

Regards,

Jay.?

My mistake, this was the portion I focused on originally, I may have misspoke. But it is a very fine line with modern copyright laws and such.

Regards,

Jay.

You have a very kind and generous opinion of businesses in the US. ?

Just found this for the naysayers....

"DVD ripping of copyrighted works is still considered illegal in the United States, but several organizations continue working to make it legal for purchasers of a copyrighted DVD to rip copies for personal use only. Some other countries have already made it legal, and the case of the UK is one good example."

Regards,

Jay.

Interesting how the subtleties vary in our countries, apparently legal in the UK to rip if you legally own a copy of the CD/DVD/etc but as soon as you hand that copy to someone else it becomes illegal. Whereas in the States, I believe it's illegal as soon as you rip it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"....apparently legal in the UK to rip if you legally own a copy of the CD/DVD/etc but as soon as you hand that copy to someone else it becomes illegal. Whereas in the States, I believe it's illegal as soon as you rip it."

Precisely Lukass. Unfortunately some Americans cannot get their head around the fact that their laws only apply to them and not the rest of the world.

I have just read it's perfectly legal in Canada too!

Regards,

Jay.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
"....apparently legal in the UK to rip if you legally own a copy of the CD/DVD/etc but as soon as you hand that copy to someone else it becomes illegal. Whereas in the States, I believe it's illegal as soon as you rip it."

Precisely Lukass. Unfortunately some Americans cannot get their head around the fact that their laws only apply to them and not the rest of the world.

I have just read it's perfectly legal in Canada too!

Regards,

Jay.
Other people seem to have that problem too with other things.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Mike, with all due respect, not all films are made in Hollywood and again I say, American laws are for American citizens. They might like to imply they cover everywhere on the planet but they don't.

I watched a DVD last night and read that if I copy it, loan it out or show it to an audience (friends?) the FBI can arrest me and sentence me up to 7 years in gaol! What a joke.

Anyway, as per my original post, clearly there are no DVD Cloner users here.

Regards,

Jay.?

Sorry OP that no one could help you yet. World has actually moved off from DVDs, so DVD cloning / ripping requirements are fast becoming a relic of the past. Very soon the companies may stop making these softwares.

In the recent past, I have found the need to rip DVDs only once. I found my wedding DVDs and my firstborns introduction ceremony DVDs. I downloaded a ripper from the MIcrosoft store, ripped them into the cloud ☁ and then forgot all about the software.

The main use cases of DVD has been replaced by cloud storage and streaming services. My personal laptop does not have a DVD drive and I don’t remember where I have stored my DVD player. If I ever watch an old movie on DVD, I would watch it in my son’s XBOX, but rapidly these movies are being made available in one of the streaming services.
I bumped up your thread, so someone who still uses DVD might see and help you.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Some young relatives recently laughed at me because I still get DVDs through the mail. They said : what can you get by mail that you can’t get by streaming ?
I told them I watched a lot of French movies, and that they were not available much at all by streaming. I looked it up, turns out that, in round numbers, one has a choice of around 5000 movies streaming, and a choice of 100,000 via Netflix DVD. If one chooses to curate his own viewing habits, the choice seems clear to me.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Some young relatives recently laughed at me because I still get DVDs through the mail. They said : what can you get by mail that you can’t get by streaming ?
I told them I watched a lot of French movies, and that they were not available much at all by streaming. I looked it up, turns out that, in round numbers, one has a choice of around 5000 movies streaming, and a choice of 100,000 via Netflix DVD. If one chooses to curate his own viewing habits, the choice seems clear to me.

DVD's have their advantages. You can loan them to whoever you want and they can't get 'cancelled.'
Recently here in the UK a comedy series calked The League Of Gentlemen got taken off Netflix because one of the characters had blackface. Even an episode of the classic Fawlty Towers was removed. If you own the dvd you're not at the whim of the latest hysteria over whatever.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mike, with all due respect, not all films are made in Hollywood and again I say, American laws are for American citizens. They might like to imply they cover everywhere on the planet but they don't.

No, not at all Jay, I was just clarifying that the law only applies to American films, not foreign ones. So I am safe to copy my Botswanan crime/comedy drama. I don't want to end up in jail Jay, I hear the radio reception in there is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.