PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I like burley blends and I have from the start. I will say for sure though.. If you don't like something, you certainly shouldn't force feed it to yourself until you do. haha If I tried that with brussel sprouts I'd puke. @BROBS doesn't like Prince Albert.. and while I know this is because his tastebuds are messed up from eating too many vegetables, I still wouldn't try to convince him to smoke it anyway.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I started with Latakia blends, then made my way into Va/VaPers and Lakelands. Burley blends were the last ones I got into, and they can still be really hit or miss for me. I love Pegasus, Watch City Slices, KBV Mycroft, HH Burley Flake and all of the Lakeland Burleys, but Old Joe Krantz (A burley standard for some) is one of the worst blends I've ever smoked.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I started with burley (OTCs) and continue to smoke those same blends. I have grown fond of the C&D burley blends, particularly Pegasus. My reasons are that C&D blends taste better and have more of a nicotine hit. With that said, I have ventured into Va and VaPer blends and found most of them very good, but my primary love is with Burley. I'm trying to wrap my mind around Latakia blends, but frankly I'm not a big fan of most blends containing Latakia. My point is, I smoke what I like, but I always keep an open mind because tastes do change.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Bowie,
The only reason for not liking a popular blend cannot be that one is just a rookie smoker with an underdeveloped palette
It could be a body chemistry conflict, or just a plain dislike for something.

I think there's a slight adjustment made by one's palette with every new bowl.
Training is not exclusive to a 'rookie', but, most of us have experienced a beginning and subsequent changes in our tasting capabilities and smoking techniques.
By 'training' I mean, getting accustomed to the subtle new flavors of any new to you blend, and they can be elusive initially.
Brobs: C&D makes G.L. Pease blends too.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Bowie,
The only reason for not liking a popular blend cannot be that one is just a rookie smoker with an underdeveloped palette

Training is not exclusive to a 'rookie', but, most of us have experienced a beginning and subsequent changes in our tasting capabilities and smoking techniques.
By 'training' I mean, getting accustomed to the subtle new flavors of any new to you blend, and they can be elusive initially.
That makes sense to me. You're right, things can change over time, both with the palatte and the blend. But I think some blends will just never hit the right spot for some people, regardless of their average rating on TobaccoReviews.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Bowie,

Right. Dislike those as well. And low country, and briarworks, etc etc.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I didn’t like it at first, I thought it was overwhelmingly powerful the first time I tried it. That might have been OJK. But, my palette has changed considerably since. I love Haunted Bookshop, OJK and quite a few others now. And I don’t like hardly anything I did like when I started now!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I loved burley blends from the first bowl. That said, I (and many others) consider burley blends to be about the most pedestrian pipe tobacco style out there. Not much complexity there, but many burley blends make a great outdoors / chore / on-the-go smoke. All of the codger Burleys I’ve tried are consistent in flavor, burn easy, and aren’t finicky.

Pro tip: burley goes best in a cob. Not sure what it is about that combination, but I always reach for a cob when I’m planning to smoke burley. Many others agree, so I can’t take credit for noticing this great combination.

To find out once and for all if you like burley, get a couple of corn cob pipes, and some popular Burleys like Carter Hall, match Ready Rubbed (Lane or Sutliff), and Chatham Manor. If you smoke a few bowls of popular burley in a cob and still don’t like them, then you’ll know it’s not for you.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Took about a year for me. My first was McClelland Grey Havens and at first I didn't like it, but it grew on me toward the end of the 100g. Now I can't get enough if it has kentucky mixed in. Hu Director's Cut and Redburn are my current flames.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
There's such a variety and range of burleys (are we including DFK?). I find it the most interesting of the major food groups in that respect. Some burleys I didn't like at first, but later came to like, and some vice versa. In any case, don't smoke what you don't like - that's my rule.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Started on aromatics and didn’t like them. Then moved into Latakia forward blends and fell out of love with them fairly quickly. After a few months I discovered I liked blends with plenty of burley. Have some Irish Flake coming shortly.

I would like to try more Lakeland blends if I could get them. Never be scared of trying new things!

Status
Not open for further replies.