PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Three weeks of wait and finally my two new pipes are here. The one depicted below is The French Pipe № 5, and the other one is Dr. Grabow Royalton, but that's for another thread.

Prior to the purchase, I was trying to dig up any reviews or information that would help me decide on this pipe vs. some other candidates. My research did not yield much but I liked the looks of it and the price point was right. The fact that it is made in Saint-Claude, France along with Chacom and Comoy pipes, gave me the hope that I am buying a decent pipe. Whether this is so or not, the time will show. In the meantime, please meet the newest addition to my modest pipe collection - The French Pipe № 5!

The pipe is very light, I am yet to weight it, the craftsmanship bears no complaints, the grain is beautiful, its drill right inthe center on the bowl. The only concern is that I wiped a lot of brown stain from inside the chamber, looks like the intire pipe was dipped into stain. I am yet to smoke it, will report on the expereince shortly.

IMG_1008.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg
IMG_1017.jpg
IMG_1018.jpg
IMG_1019.jpg
IMG_1020.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 0

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Very nice, and pretty pipe bag! Dip staining doesn’t bother me, but there are those who dislike it. Great looking pipe! I hope it serves you well.

Reactions: Severus

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
St. Claude pipe makers made briar the material of choice for tobacco pipes, and most of the classic British shapes and designs are derived from pipes done in France. The pipe making culture there is old, and there is much pride in the work. I have found that the French pipes I've bought -- Chacom, EWA, Ropp, BC, Vuillard, Genod -- are all above their price point in quality. So I think you will be well pleased with your purchase.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I like the blue and white stripes on the pipe that match the bag. A nice little detail. Enjoy!

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Thanks, fellas! I am enjoying it very much!

Looks like a cavernous bowl, though. Enjoy!

Yes, @olkofri, I was pleasantly surprised by its dimensions. Feels like the right size!

I have found that the French pipes I've bought -- Chacom, EWA, Ropp, BC, Vuillard, Genod -- are all above their price point in quality. So I think you will be well pleased with your purchase.

@mso489, I do not yet have much experience with pipes, but the first impressions with this pipe have exceeded the expectations!