Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our featured interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with Fred Hanna. Fred has a PhD. and teaches at the Chicago Campus at Adler University. He is also author of the book, The Perfect Smoke. This show is our seventh and final in a series of “Seven Questions for Seven Experts”. Over the course of seven weeks, we have been asking seven prominent pipe collectors the same seven pipe related questions, and see how their answers compare. At the top of the show, for our pipe parts segment, we will have Ask the Pipemaker with Jeff Gracik, specifically on horned stems.

fred-and-brian.jpg

Fred Hanna (L) & Brian Levine

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It would be difficult to find a better cap-off for Brian's 7/7 series than a sit-down with Fred.

Naturally friendly, naturally funny, vastly knowledgeable and experienced with pipe stuff, passionate as a categorical thing, and a gifted communicator.

All you new guys: if you haven't been listening to these interviews so far, give this one a test drive. When it's over you'll want to back up and catch 'em all, guaranteed.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Dr. Fred Hanna is a heck of a gentleman, in addition to being a Master Blender (IMHO). I remember he gifted me a pipeful of a blend he was working on (Wilderness,Legend) at a NASPC show. It was back when you could smoke inside the show. My palette was so fried by that time, I couldn't offer much in the way of specifics on my opinion. Fast forward to the demise of McClelland and, I cherish each tin I have of both blends.
Mike Stanley

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Great series with great guest! I always enjoy Fred Hanna. He has such a wealth of knowledge. I want to see how Brian tops these latest shows. The bar has been raised.

Trouttimes

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
Enjoyed Dr. Fred Hanna's segment so much that I'm now listening to a podcast about existentialism that he was featured on and it's really fascinating and helpful. So glad to have learned about him here.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Enjoyed Dr. Fred Hanna's segment so much that I'm now listening to a podcast about existentialism that he was featured on and it's really fascinating and helpful. So glad to have learned about him here.

The historical link between pipe smoking and existentialism is both long and deep. During the First World War Heidegger helped Alfred Dunhill perfect the application of sandblast technology to briar; in the mid 1920s Sartre created the blend that David Redstone introduced as the Balkan Sobranie original smoking mixture; and in the 1950s Camus helped Barling sell its Algerian briar mill when the civil war made continued operation untenable (a few years later when he learned Albert had secretly withheld 40% of the proceeds as a “commission” Montague Barling arranged for a small car accident in Villeblevin).

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
The historical link between pipe smoking and existentialism is both long and deep. During the First World War Heidegger helped Alfred Dunhill perfect the application of sandblast technology to briar; in the mid 1920s Sartre created the blend that David Redstone introduced as the Balkan Sobranie original smoking mixture; and in the 1950s Camus helped Barling sell its Algerian briar mill when the civil war made continued operation untenable (a few years later when he learned Albert had secretly withheld 40% of the proceeds as a “commission” Montague Barling arranged for a small car accident in Villeblevin).
This is really interesting, I appreciate you sharing! Going to look into this further.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
That is very interesting! Thank you.

fredhanna

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011

Jon Guss is a tremendously talented fellow. His considerable power of creativity was obviously hard at work in the post above, to create an integration of the history of pipe smoking and the rich and time honored tradition of existentialism. Very few people could have done this and make it sound so convincing and valid.

Well done, Jon!

With his vast ability, our friend Jon has effortlessly and easily created an alternate reality, a new vision of a world in which the "is" could be combined with the "ought" to produce a fascinating and compelling new reality that so many of us would love to believe. Such talent is, frankly, generously gifted to all of us that we might enjoy such a rich integration, if not collision, of completely separate traditions. I hope we all recognize his gift and appreciate his efforts.

As I said, and as is perfectly apparent, Jon is very kind to share his gift of vision and creativity with us. With his vast ability, he could have used his powers in many different domains, such as...

• Advertising
• Novelist
• Investment Swindler
• Religious Leader
• Gigelow
• Cult Founder
• Politician

But no... he shares it with us out of his compassion for us and our hobby. And I for one feel honored that he would take the take to bullshit and bamboozle us, and to do so to all of us for so little to gain. What a generous friend he is.

Thank you Jon. And I bow before you and confess... I am not worthy!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
• Advertising
• Novelist
• Investment Swindler
• Religious Leader
• Gigelow
• Cult Founder
• Politician

Herr Professor Doktor Hanna, I freely admit I’m not a native English speaker, but my thesaurus suggests those occupations (pastimes? vocations?) you mention are all near synonyms with each other.

in any case as you well know the tradition I cited linking philosophy and pipemaking predates Heiddeger, going back at least as far as his great mentor Edmund Husserl. It’s well attested that Husserl developed his lifelong affection for the pipe after a chance meeting in 1884 with Frederick Charatan at a cocktail party at Franz Brentano’s home in Wien. The two men became immediate friends. At this point still Jewish, Husserl (Schnelle Eddie, or “Fast Eddie” to his intimates) fell into the habit of joining Charatan in the formation of a minyan to perform services. Like most true friendships each man had much to learn from the other. Over the years Fast Eddie taught Charatan how to cut a briar block to follow the grain most effectively, while Charatan developed and shared many of the ideas that Husserl later expounded (without attribution) in Logische Untersuchungen. While the two men rarely met after the turn of the century Husserl’s lifelong love affair with the pipe betrays his continued affection for Charatan and the friendship they once shared. Or then again perhaps it was merely the expression of a garden variety oral fixation.

Husserl with pipe in hand

Husserl with pipe.jpg

fredhanna

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
Hello Jon. Regarding the list that you duplicated in your post above, you once again astonish me with your surpassing insight and integrative, dialectical, metacognitive ability in recognizing that those seemingly different occupations on the list are indeed synonymous, and each of them requires the same skills in order to be properly executed.

But I am deeply grateful, and thank you, for this new knowledge about Edmund Husserl (aka Fast Eddie :ROFLMAO:) the esteemed pipe smoking founder of the philosophy of phenomenology. Although he was rather well known for his pipe smoking, I have no knowledge of his choice of pipe brand or tobacco choice(s). Perhaps you can shed some light on this?

Nonetheless, his friendship with such legends as Franz Brentano and Frederick Charatan is nothing short of a divine revelation! Who knew that Husserl actually taught Charatan how to cut straight grain pipes! My first reading of Husserl was in a university course bearing the title of "Husserl" back in 1969, and NEVER was it mentioned before or since that Husserl was the inventor of the straight grain pipe. Your research is so penetrating, meticulous, and painstaking that I am humbled to have made your acquaintance, and in awe of your magnanimity. And my own level of self-knowledge has been enhanced by the astounding insight that the reason that I collect straight grain pipes is the same reason that I have always held Fast Eddie in such high esteem. All I can say is Wow--just Wow.

I confess that it took me quite a while to read your above report in full. I found that my already short attention span was further interrupted by paroxysms of laughter due to your fearless and undaunted venture into your brilliantly constructed alternate reality that is now becoming reified due to your extraordinary research talent and power of narrative. No one other than yourself has discovered the hidden relationship between pipes and philosophers--the existentialists and phenomenologists in particular! Do I sense a book in your future? I hope so! Apparently, you have the ability to create fantasy in such a way as to become empowered to dictate the structure of reality itself.

Perhaps some day you can share what it is like to be a genius and demigod... and gigolo. I will happily sit at your feet and soak up whatever knowledge you stoop to share with the unworthy likes of such as I.

fredhanna

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
My thanks to George, Mike, and Mr. Trout for their kind words. I hope to see you all at the shows when they return!

And thanks also to Mr. Chicken. I am pleased that you found the podcast on existential therapy and listened to it, and apparently stayed awake! Glad to hear you liked it.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I swear, between Jon and Fred, I have to change my shoes, due to the accumulation of bovine ordure. You guys are the masters of the art.

• Haha
Reactions: fredhanna

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Neither Pipe Luminary Guss nor Herr Professor Doktor Hanna touched on the pivotal point regarding pipes and existentialism, I'm afraid.

It is that the wave forms which might or might not become a pipe depending upon their interaction (or lack of it) with a smoker---an event called "observation"---comprise the fundamental fabric of the Universe. A pipe's LITERAL existence is a "maybe yes, maybe no" affair until someone causes it to appear (or not) by choosing to smoke it (or not).

And everything else follows.

Schrödinger might have been infatuated by cats in boxes, in other words, but it's all about briar. And tobacco. And the smoke generated by them.

Duh.

fredhanna

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
Well, after that great quantum analysis of pipes, I now realize that I am going to have to bow to George as well! ;) But here is the question: Is a pipe a particle or a wave? And when you "observe" the smoking of a pipe, does the pipe itself change due to the observation? Or does the smoker change? George, maybe you should write a book called "Quantum Pipe Smoking and Collecting." :col:

And Dino, that razor sharp perception of yours was a bit too accurate for my comfort. You can back off on it any time now! :col:

• Haha
Reactions: dino

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, maybe you should write a book called "Quantum Pipe Smoking and Collecting." :col:

Great idea!

I'll start it here on the forum, in fact, to check the level of interest. If it's high enough I'll give Gary Schrier a call. :)

This will be chapter one:

------

The electroplasmonic switch capacity of a briar pipe is based upon electrically tunable exciton–plasmon interactions. It consists of a hexagonal boron nitride (hBN)-encapsulated tungsten diselenide (WSe2) monolayer on top of a single-crystalline silver substrate. The ultrasmooth silver substrate serves a dual role as the medium to support surface plasmon polaritons (SPPs) and the bottom gate electrode to tune the WSe2 exciton energy and brightness through electrostatic doping. Provided the pipe's airway is of adequate diameter, enhancing the exciton–plasmon coupling is accomplished through the implementation of a plasmonic crystal cavity on top of the hBN/WSe2/hBN/Ag heterostructure with a quality factor of at least 550. The tight confinement of the SPPs in the plasmonic cavity enables strong coupling between excitons and SPPs when the WSe2 exciton absorption is resonant with the cavity mode, leading to a vacuum Rabi splitting of up to 18 meV. Especially when the tobacco smoked is heavy in Latakia. This strong coupling can be switched off with the application of a modest thought-induced gate voltage to increase the doping density in the monolayer.

...etc. etc... all the well-known usual stuff to bring the narrative up to speed. Then, when people are on board I can really dive into it.

What do you think? puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.