PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
It's my 3rd week as a pipe smoker and I think I have been aggressive with my pipe purchases for a beginner just to complete the 7 days pipe rotation. However, I know to myself that I won't go back to chain-smoking cigarettes and since it's my wife's birthday next week.... I thought I'd get myself a gift - a good pipe.. so they say. :)

Shape 55 KK. The pipe was smaller than what I expected. It weights 36 grams, and as big as my Morgan corncob.

I don't know what to do now..... I emailed Luca of tabaccheria corti again.....

Thanks to @sasquatch for comparing Punto Oro against Castello. I purchased a Castello because of you. Definitely made me feel bad for ordering a Savinelli which I haven't received yet. I hope you still have time to make some Oom Paul.

Thanks to @npod for sharing your Castello collection and making us drool.

55 12.jpg

55 11.jpg

55 13.jpg

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
When I got my first one, a member here said they tend to accumulate. I laughed because there was no way I was spending that much on a pipe again. Six months later I had 4.

Nice pipe! And watch out, they tend to accumulate.

I agree. I feel like getting a sea rock billiard ?. I need to smoke my corncob more to remind myself that cheap pipes are also good. It's all in the mind.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Congrats on Your new acquisition, I have few Castellos and I am absolutely lovin them how these smoke, aside from price point the only thing which keeps me adding them more to my collection is that I am keen about classic British shaping

Reactions: kokomanga

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Congrats on Your new acquisition, I have few Castellos and I am absolutely lovin them how these smoke, aside from price point the only thing which keeps me adding them more to my collection is that I am keen about classic British shaping
You should check lanzola pipe. He is selling an estate petite "castello" grade smooth billiard. Same as the one you have.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
It's my 3rd week as a pipe smoker and I think I have been aggressive with my pipe purchases for a beginner just to complete the 7 days pipe rotation. However, I know to myself that I won't go back to chain-smoking cigarettes and since it's my wife's birthday next week.... I thought I'd get myself a gift - a good pipe.. so they say. :)

Shape 55 KK. The pipe was smaller than what I expected. It weights 36 grams, and as big as my Morgan corncob.

Thanks to @sasquatch for comparing Punto Oro against Castello. I purchased a Castello because of you. Definitely made me feel bad for ordering a Savinelli which I haven't received yet. I hope you still have time to make some Oom Paul.

View attachment 33959

View attachment 33960

View attachment 33961
I have bought a few pipes that turned out to be smaller than i expected or wanted. Including a high end custom pipe. Taught me that when buying on the internet you really need to pay attention to the dimensions. As a rule of thumb - for me - i find that anything under 5.5 inches and 1.5 oz will be on the small/light side. Of course bowl dimensions are also important. The sweet spot for me for a substantial feeling pipe that doesnt feel too heavy is 5.75 inches and 1.75 ounces though of course shape - bent vs straight - will effect that. Just my general rule of thumb.

Oct 7, 2016

View attachment 33959

View attachment 33960

View attachment 33961
That is a lovely pipe. Many years ago, I wouldn’t even think of a Castello that size as a keeper. Now, I couldn’t stand the thought of parting with any of the half dozen or so I have. And I still enjoy my GG’s and Greatlines.

Yes, they do accumulate, particularly if you are a believer in the adage “You also smoke with your eyes”.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont

View attachment 33959

View attachment 33960

View attachment 33961
Never feel bad about Savs. I've had at least 30 over the years & every one was naught but stellar.

Reactions: kokomanga

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
oldgeezersmoker said:

“You also smoke with your eyes”.

And eyes are conditioned by marketing. There was a certain pipe luminary whose luminescence steadily increased over a decade given a nature relentlessly self-promoting. Sophistication and exactitude cloaked his every utterance, all of which characteristics then passed to his products, which were vey successful;.

Conditioning.

Reactions: 02Knight
Status
Not open for further replies.