PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Part One of the two-part documentary "Laurel Canyon". Wow, outstanding. (better than last years movie doc "Echoes in The Canyon"). If you love that era of music, you will enjoy this one.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Grand Prix (1966), starring James Garner. Lots of real F1 racers from that time in this one, including Bruce McClaren (who was killed 50 years ago yesterday) and Graham Hill, the only Autoracing Triple Crown winner to date and father of Damon Hill. The movie is directed by John Frankenheimer. 5/5.

IndyCar racing returns on Friday!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Grand Prix (1966), starring James Garner. Lots of real F1 racers from that time in this one, including Bruce McClaren (who was killed 50 years ago yesterday) and Graham Hill, the only Autoracing Triple Crown winner to date and father of Damon Hill. The movie is directed by John Frankenheimer. 5/5.

IndyCar racing returns on Friday!
Yes, a favorite of mine as well! Tons of cameos, Bob Bondurant, Jim Clark(!), Black Jack Brabahm, Richie Ginther. I love that era of F1.

And real-life driver Lorenzo Baldini, who was killed one year later (1967) at Monaco in a famous F1 accident.

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX
Watched the Aeronauts on Amazon Prime a few nights ago. Pretty entertaining, good story line and the visuals (assume computer generated!) were really well done. 4.5/5

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
There is a fantastic documentary series called The Planets on BBC at the moment. Explaining the science about the formation and potential of each planet.

Possibility of ice on Mercury!? If you could walk on it you could forever follow the sunset by walking 2km/hr.

Other than that I'm bet into 'The Last Kingdom'. It's very similar style to Game of Thrones, set during the Viking invasion of what is now England.

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
Thought I'd add in what I watch on YouTube as I probably watch it more than tv.

Wild Life - fishing blog of a guy in Houston, Texas.

Justin Barbour- outdoor adventures, fishing, kayaking, camping

Englishbikerdan- motorbike reviews

Bjorn Andreas Bull-Hansen - blogger, bushcraft

Erik Nomark- Camping, hiking in Northern Sweden

Cimbrer Bushcraft, Swedwoods, Nagulero- all great Bushcrafters.

Kurzsgesagt - explains some wonders of science.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
We've finished 8 seasons of Death in Paradise and the ninth season isn't available on BBCAmerica, Acorn or Britbox for some reason.
We are now onto season 20 of Midsommer Murders and still find them entertaining.
We have also finished the first season of Carnival Row.

What I'm beginning not to like about British produced shows is that they will produce one or two seasons of a show and then just drop it.

What I find interesting, is because of the smaller number of people in the acting pool, a lot of actors show up as different people in multiple episodes and are in many different shows.

Next up:
The Hunters
Penny Dreadful

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Been watching Belgravia, a British series that takes place in London following the Battle of Waterloo. The wife and I really enjoyed it. 4/5

Ah! Another Brit series I will spend hours on. On Prime right now.
Tamsin Grieg, who starred in Episodes- a 5/5 series- is also the leading lady, based on 5 minutes of viewing.

Fun fact: Belgravia is filmed in Edinburgh, with CGI. I guess the real Belgrave Square was too expensive. BelgraveSqfromMaps.jpg

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
pappymac, you're right about that pool.

We just got thru 3 completely different series on Acorn and Nicola Walker showed up in all three.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We've finished 8 seasons of Death in Paradise and the ninth season isn't available on BBCAmerica, Acorn or Britbox for some reason.
We are now onto season 20 of Midsommer Murders and still find them entertaining.
We have also finished the first season of Carnival Row.

What I'm beginning not to like about British produced shows is that they will produce one or two seasons of a show and then just drop it.

What I find interesting, is because of the smaller number of people in the acting pool, a lot of actors show up as different people in multiple episodes and are in many different shows.

Next up:
The Hunters
Penny Dreadful
Interested in your take on "Dreadful". I have three eps in the recorded list for which I can't find much enthusiasm.

As to Midsommer, have watched a couple of seasons (4/5). Can you recommend any particularly good seasons? Or bad?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Interested in your take on "Dreadful". I have three eps in the recorded list for which I can't find much enthusiasm.

As to Midsommer, have watched a couple of seasons (4/5). Can you recommend any particularly good seasons? Or bad?
We watched the first episode last night. I've never been big into horror stories made after the mid-1960s because it has all been about the blood and gore and glorifying serial killers. I have enjoyed the old Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney type horror movies.

That being said, the first episode struck me as trying to cram a lot of plot into a short time frame and introduce people without naming them.

We will probably watch at least one or two more episode before I decide if I'm going to continue with it. My wife will probably watch it all though.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
About to check out the Perry Mason reboot on HBO. Premier was last night.
Perry-Mason-poster.jpeg

Reactions: dcon
Status
Not open for further replies.