PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipesAndCigarsInFrance

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2020
France
What's a cellar? I would probably focus on tins: Peterson's Sherlock Holmes, University Flake, Ashton's Consumate Gentleman then I'd just dabble. I would say the Frog Morton series as I have always wanted to try it (no idea why it has intrigued me) but I believe it is no longer?

Reactions: Ahi Ka

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
What's a cellar? I would probably focus on tins: Peterson's Sherlock Holmes, University Flake, Ashton's Consumate Gentleman then I'd just dabble. I would say the Frog Morton series as I have always wanted to try it (no idea why it has intrigued me) but I believe it is no longer?
I have come to the conclusion & opinion that bulk is the way to go for heavy cellaring strategy. Waaay cheaper and you can really really get alot squirreled away quick. If money is not a factor for you, by all means stack up the tins, but in reality if the same blend is offered in bulk, you are just wasting money for a fancy tin. Saying that, I DO buy a few tins here and there to crack open on special occasions. It's nice to have a few sealed tins lying around for trading purposes

PipesAndCigarsInFrance

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2020
France
I have come to the conclusion & opinion that bulk is the way to go for heavy cellaring strategy. Waaay cheaper and you can really really get alot squirreled away quick. If money is not a factor for you, by all means stack up the tins, but in reality if the same blend is offered in bulk, you are just wasting money for a fancy tin. Saying that, I DO buy a few tins here and there to crack open on special occasions. It's nice to have a few sealed tins lying around for trading purposes

Money is an issue, hence not cellaring at all. Plus pipe tobacco here in bulk is non-existent.
One carries on however!

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I'd opt for 8oz personally. Cheaper when buying in larger quantities. Now that I have a pretty good idea of what type of blends I enjoy, I cellar heavily with the ones I like and buy 1oz of ones I think would fit the category.

4oz is good to start out with if you have some general census of what blends you like, but if you're just getting into pipe smoking, I reckon you get multiple 1oz samples and go from there. Case in point. I loved GLP Fillmore. Heavy Perique laden Va/Per. C&D has Bayou Morning (25% Perique). Thought about going hard on a 8 oz bag. Got 1oz instead and glad I did. Too harsh for me and won't consider buying it again.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I am basing my decision on what is regularly in stock here in the states. This eliminates Robert McConnell, Rattray's, Fribourg & Treyer and Esoterica. If these were available on a weekly basis this list would look different.

For tins, I would focus on Escudo, GLP Telegraph Hill, GLP Sixpence, and Solani 633.

For bulk, I would focus on C&D Orions Arrow, Sutliff Match Victorian, and Newminster Superior Navy Flake.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I put a spreadsheet together of my preference so I could get an idea of my own cellar. My terminology is a little loose and is my own but it works for me. For example, if a blend has rum I put it in the aromatic column. My goal was to categorize so I could see how I might better cellar "wide" but also see what my favorites were so I could cellar "deep". I posted a different thread with it and got some great suggestions. I haven't added some blends since I haven't tried them yet.

Here it is again:

Type Non-Aromatic Aromatic

Virginia
(Includes: Virginia Based
1 ) Sutliff #707 Sweet Virginia Sutliff #704 Spiced Rum
2 ) Sutliff #507-C VA Slices Capstan Gold Flake
3 )

Burley
(Includes:
1 ) GH&C Happy Bogie Unsliced WCC Deluxe Crumb Cut
2 ) Manil Le Petit Robin
3 )

VaPer
(Includes: Virginia/Perique Blends)
1 ) SG St James Flake Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs Plug
2 ) WCC Rougaroux WCC Old Dominion
3 ) SG Cabbie's Mixture

VaOr
(Includes: Oriental Forward Blends)
1 ) WCC Persian Slipper
2 )
3 )

VaBur
(Includes: Virginia/Burley Blends)
1 ) GH&C Dark Flake Unscented GH&C American Delight
2 ) C&D Virginia Gentleman GH&C Bob's Chocolate Flake
3 )

English
(Includes: English, Scottish, & American Blends)
1 ) Ashton Artisan's Blend Black Frigate
2 ) Peterson Nightcap
3 )

Balkan
(Includes: Balkan Blends)
1 ) Arango Balkan Supreme SPC Plum Pudding SR
2 )
3 )

Other
(Includes:
1 ) C&D Dreams of Kadath Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday
2 )
3 )

I would start by trying to fill in 1 from each category so I had them available to some should the mood strike and then start duplicating blends so I would have plenty available.

Knowing why the restriction is they way it is might influence how I purchase, i.e. limited due to weekly funds, limited due to mail ordering, some other reason?

I restricted my spreadsheet to blends I have tried and no unicorns even though my cellar has both of these in it. I also have blends I've tried and like but not as much as the ones on the spreadsheet so I'm still sampling other blends to see if they'll be deemed worthy enough to make the list.

Reactions: dcon and Ahi Ka

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
It seems like a systematic approach could work for you.
Order 4 oz from each "family" of pipe tobacco. That way you may enjoy/sample each and prepare for the next round of puchases. Note which most appeals to your tastes.

For example:
4 oz of Virgina/perique- H&H AJ VaPers
4 oz English - PS Luxury English
4 oz Oriental -Balkan Sobanie
4 oz Aro- Dan Honey Dew Vanilla

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I probably should have mention that the only reason I would order this way is due to international shipping. Also, in my country tobacco importing will only be available for a year or so more. If I could buy in larger quantities I would.

I currently have enough on hand to smoke at my usual pace for the next 5years - this could be stretched further depending on the extent I lean on homegrown leaf for daily smoking. So the main purpose of this exercise was kinda to figure out what I would prioritise having on hand for the next 30.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, a few blends I am going to check out. The different advice has also confirmed my approach is kinda gonna work out all right.

i have about a dozen tins for blends unavailable in bulk (or ODF flake), and beyond this I have begun to order in families or as blending components to mix with homegrown.

the 1oz idea is awesome btw! I am so glad I prioritised doing that early on as within a month or two you have tried a very large variety of blends - more if you can use for trading samples

So far, my plan for bulk is to have jars worth of:

HB

GH BF#7 (and a few other Lakeland to change pace)

VA forward blends - I’m very sensitive to VA, especially red, so basically anything that has the sweetness with a controlled bite. Thinking Newminster 400/403. Comoys #4. Sutliff Revelation. Any suggestions here from burley smokers would be helpful.

Sutliff Voodoo Queen

Gran Croupier Double Down (don’t judge. Lol)

Burley - dr two timer/CD dark burley/amphora/MB golden extra. Am waiting to try newminster light burley and some of sutliff’s burley offerings

79/GH brown flake w lic. (If only grousemoor was bulk or readily available)

add to that a jar which will work through all of my other samples and the occasional popped tin.

Reactions: docpierce

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I probably should have mention that the only reason I would order this way is due to international shipping. Also, in my country tobacco importing will only be available for a year or so more. If I could buy in larger quantities I would.

I currently have enough on hand to smoke at my usual pace for the next 5years - this could be stretched further depending on the extent I lean on homegrown leaf for daily smoking. So the main purpose of this exercise was kinda to figure out what I would prioritise having on hand for the next 30.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, a few blends I am going to check out. The different advice has also confirmed my approach is kinda gonna work out all right.

i have about a dozen tins for blends unavailable in bulk (or ODF flake), and beyond this I have begun to order in families or as blending components to mix with homegrown.

the 1oz idea is awesome btw! I am so glad I prioritised doing that early on as within a month or two you have tried a very large variety of blends - more if you can use for trading samples

So far, my plan for bulk is to have jars worth of:

HB

GH BF#7 (and a few other Lakeland to change pace)

VA forward blends - I’m very sensitive to VA, especially red, so basically anything that has the sweetness with a controlled bite. Thinking Newminster 400/403. Comoys #4. Sutliff Revelation. Any suggestions here from burley smokers would be helpful.

Sutliff Voodoo Queen

Gran Croupier Double Down (don’t judge. Lol)

Burley - dr two timer/CD dark burley/amphora/MB golden extra. Am waiting to try newminster light burley and some of sutliff’s burley offerings

79/GH brown flake w lic. (If only grousemoor was bulk or readily available)

add to that a jar which will work through all of my other samples and the occasional popped tin.
Those look pretty good. I’d add in MacBaren HH Burley and Solani Aged Burley, as well as Wessex Burley slices, since you asked for some Burley suggestions.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Those look pretty good. I’d add in MacBaren HH Burley and Solani Aged Burley, as well as Wessex Burley slices, snice you asked for some Burley suggestions.
Yep I have some Wessex already which I’m looking forward to opening this year on my birthday - how present is the licorice topping?

I keep going back and forward on the HH burley. I haven’t got one yet, despite knowing I will love it.

what I am really interested in is opinions of VA or oriental blends from people who predominantly smoke burley forward and use for a change of pace. Anyone a fan of cockstrong or London dock?

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Yep I have some Wessex already which I’m looking forward to opening this year on my birthday - how present is the licorice topping?

I keep going back and forward on the HH burley. I haven’t got one yet, despite knowing I will love it.

what I am really interested in is opinions of VA or oriental blends from people who predominantly smoke burley forward and use for a change of pace. Anyone a fan of cockstrong or London dock?
Gotcha. I don’t get any licorice, nuttiness, cocoa and molasses mainly. I’m primarily a VA & VaPer smoker, but burleys take close second. I used to mainly smoke McClelland Orientals, and now smoke a fair bit of Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme, Pease Cairo, and Peretti Tashkent for my oriental itch, but not super often. I really loved the ketchupy orientals that McC made.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA

I don't meet the criteria as I smoke pretty much only VAs, but to me cockstrong tasted like really good cigarette tobacco. The kind of cigarettes you can't buy at the gas station. I liked it but it didn't quite make it into my regular rotation. I will say that it was incredibly easy to smoke, but burned a tad fast.
I find the variety in my cellar dwindling, as I'm pretty much only stocking up on G&H Sliced Black Twist, SG FVF and SG Commonwealth. All bulk, 1/2lb at a time. To me, those three blends and combinations made from them suit any mood I happen to be in.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Gotcha. I don’t get any licorice, nuttiness and molasses mainly. I’m primarily a VA & VaPer smoker, but burleys take close second. I used to mainly smoke McClelland Orientals, and now smoke a fair bit of Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme, Pease Cairo, and Peretti Tashkent for my oriental itch, but not super often. I really loved the ketchupy orientals that McC made.
What are a couple of bulk VaPers you would recommend? I love perique, but it is a profile I have only just been getting into as previously I avoided ordering blends which contained it

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
What are a couple of bulk VaPers you would recommend? I love perique, but it is a profile I have only just been getting into as previously I avoided ordering blends which contained it
Well, my favorite is probably HU Directors Cut, but I don’t know if you could get in bulk, as I get it by the kilo and I imagine the duty would be astronomical in NZ. Sutliff Match Elizabethan is really good and very well priced, and Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake is also a bulk favorite. I also really like Pease Telegraph Hill and Hearth and Home Viprati in tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.