PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I dry my tobacco by putting it on a paper towel in the microwave for a few seconds. Motzek Strang, Rich Dark Flake, whatever, I nuke it. In fact, I’m smoking some RDF from 2007 right now in one of my EXEXEL Barlings, fresh out of the microwave.

Earlier today, I read a review on Tobacco Reviews saying that using the microwave can cause tobacco to lose its flavor. I can’t see why, but what do you guys think? Is the microwave a no-go for you?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I haven’t tried it but I’ve been close. Someone said in an earlier thread to leave it in the microwave after it’s done for a minute or so.

Reactions: kurtbob

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I can't help but wonder what microwaving does to the oils in tobacco. Does it perhaps cause a flash-off given the nature of a microwave and how it heats things? Don't get hung up on my using the word oil. Substitute whatever word is correct to describe that which gives the tobacco its flavour.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I can't help but wonder what microwaving does to the oils in tobacco. Does it perhaps cause a flash-off given the nature of a microwave and how it heats things? Don't get hung up on my using the word oil. Substitute whatever word is correct to describe that which gives the tobacco its flavour.
Ive never noticed a difference of flavor between air drying and microwave. I only heat it for five seconds though.

Reactions: kurtbob

michail

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 7, 2015
Paros, Greece
I ve done it a few times when I get the feeling "I want to lid, now".

But only fresh cutted rope and cake require it. With flakes I never had them so damp to need it

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
I dry my tobacco by putting it on a paper towel in the microwave for a few seconds. Motzek Strang, Rich Dark Flake, whatever, I nuke it. In fact, I’m smoking some RDF from 2007 right now in one of my EXEXEL Barlings, fresh out of the microwave.

Earlier today, I read a review on Tobacco Reviews saying that using the microwave can cause tobacco to lose its flavor. I can’t see why, but what do you guys think? Is the microwave a no-go for you?

I've used a micro if I'm in a real hurry but I prefer to air dry my tobacco.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
It seems like a little bit of waving will activate the water molecules and make them leave the tobacco (no pun intended) more quickly. 12=15 seconds seems like the right amount to get the water molecules vibrating without affecting the rest of the compounds in the tobacco. I do this often and experience no ill effects or changes in taste. I rub the tobacco out immediately after nuking it. The water quickly evaporates doing it this way.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Seldom do, but it's fine for a short burst or two.

The indoor humidity at my house is generally between 40-60% RH, so it's dry enough to wick moisture out in a few hours. I dry down quite a bit at a time, then stick it in a Mason Jar.