PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Just for my future reference,in case I decide to send this my Dunhill shell from 75 for re-banding, the story goes ,not long ago I got this very pipe back from a reputable pipemaker&repair shop here in the EU, but frankly,I was expecting to see something else than this like 'village blacksmith job, needless to say the band itself wasn't sterling but rather silver plated one despite the fact it was supposed to be solid sterling silver, so in the U.S, could one recommend business who might be up to the task?In the Europe, I'm starting to realize it is uncertain if I can find a person who real knows what he is doing, or perhaps to get in touch with Dunhill customer service if there is a such any more?, Please do pay attention to the fact that the underside of the shank in this pipe is flat and so the bad should be fitted and molded in accordance to the shape which was not the case with this one ,)Thank you for your time&comments,

CIMG0560.JPGCIMG0476.JPGCIMG0611.JPGCIMG0617.JPGCIMG0622.JPGCIMG0633.JPGCIMG0634.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I think CosmicFolklore on here could do it, as he is a fine metal smith. He made a tamper out of a gold band for me. I am not sure about pipe specific repairmen.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
...not long ago I got this very pipe back from a reputable pipemaker&repair shop here in the EU, but frankly,I was expecting to see something else than this like village blacksmith job, needless to say the band itself wasn't sterling but rather silver plated one despite the fact it was supposed to be solid sterling silver, so in the U.S, could one recommend business who might be up to the task?In the Europe, I'm starting to realize it is uncertain if I can find a person who real knows what he is doing, or perhaps to get in touch with Dunhill customer service if there is a such any more?, Please do pay attention to the fact that the underside of the shank in this pipe is flat and so the bad should be fitted and molded in accordance to the shape which was not the case with this one.

Very few pipe repair shops offer anything except functional banding, and most of them don't manage that very well. Doing it to a high aesthetic standard is quite difficult, and shank cross-sections which contain flats especially so. Add to that a sandblast finish and it's a perfect storm.

While your pipe could be improved when re-done, the shank has already been modified too much to allow a seamless-looking repair. (It was ground down too far to accept the band, and there's no putting the wood back.)

Below are some pics of how it should look when done right.

Note: Know that banding is a very different animal than making a new pipe which features a band. That just requires doing the right steps in the right order. Retro-fitting a slightly conical band (all repair bands are slightly conical) to an existing pipe to a "shrink wrap tight" standard takes a completely different mindset as well as different tools & materials.

Paulie --- Let me know if you can't find someone in Europe willing to take on the job after you let them know your expectations.

P1020438.JPGPC033768.JPGP6123572.JPGPC033767.JPG

Jun 9, 2018
England
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Just for my future reference,in case I decide to send this my Dunhill shell from 75 for re-banding, the story goes ,not long ago I got this very pipe back from a reputable pipemaker&repair shop here in the EU, but frankly,I was expecting to see something else than this like 'village blacksmith job, needless to say the band itself wasn't sterling but rather silver plated one despite the fact it was supposed to be solid sterling silver, so in the U.S, could one recommend business who might be up to the task?In the Europe, I'm starting to realize it is uncertain if I can find a person who real knows what he is doing, or perhaps to get in touch with Dunhill customer service if there is a such any more?, Please do pay attention to the fact that the underside of the shank in this pipe is flat and so the bad should be fitted and molded in accordance to the shape which was not the case with this one ,)Thank you for your time&comments,

View attachment 24769View attachment 24770View attachment 24771View attachment 24772View attachment 24773View attachment 24774View attachment 24775

Paul have you tried Ian at Northern Briars? He does nice silver work and he does pipe repairs.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Very few pipe repair shops offer anything except functional banding, and most of them don't manage that very well. Doing it to a high aesthetic standard is quite difficult, and shank cross-sections which contain flats especially so. Add to that a sandblast finish and it's a perfect storm.

While your pipe could be improved when re-done, the shank has already been modified too much to allow a seamless-looking repair. (It was ground down too far to accept the band, and there's no putting the wood back.)

Below are some pics of how it should look when done right.

Note: Know that banding is a very different animal than making a new pipe which features a band. That just requires doing the right steps in the right order. Retro-fitting a slightly conical band (all repair bands are slightly conical) to an existing pipe to a "shrink wrap tight" standard takes a completely different mindset as well as different tools & materials.

Paulie --- Let me know if you can't find someone in Europe willing to take on the job after you let them know your expectations.

View attachment 24993View attachment 24994View attachment 24995View attachment 24996
An Absolute true George, Thank You for taking time to provide us with additional information. Yes Sir, I have to agree ,It is not that easy job to perform if one is expecting to receive his pipe back with aesthetically seamless and flush fitted band as seen here in your photos, All the Best to You and Greets, Paul

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic may be the man. The only other who comes to mind offhand, but is probably not doing individual fittings like this, is Les Wood, maker of Ferndown pipes, who actually was mostly a metal and silversmith at Dunhill before he went off to make his own fine artisanal pipes. I own a Ferndown only because of the generosity of a Forums member, but it is a primo pipe for sure, silver band and all.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
And now allow me to introduce You with another 'specimen of banding job on Dunhill Ring grain Canadian ,once again it was with real sterling,conducted by quite a renowned repairshop based in Germany, pretty good results as it is ,nontheless there is still some cosmetic issues perceptible, one may notice here how the shank was manipulated just before where the bad sits ,or am I a little bit nitpicking, afterall this was Dunhill and not $20 basket pipe,but yes, standards do vary from place to place CIMG0277.JPGCIMG0644.JPGCIMG0643.JPGCIMG0645.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.