PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Like a lot of disposable-income enthusiasms, pipe smoking can cost a hell of a lot of money, or be done fairly frugally. It's usually a matter of perspective (considering one's basic income is up to the cost, whatever that is). I honestly shudder to think what my dad has spent on season tickets to his favorite college team's games over the years, but he doesn't consider it crazy (even though he complains more about it than he is willing to admit).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Like a lot of disposable-income enthusiasms, pipe smoking can cost a hell of a lot of money, or be done fairly frugally. It's usually a matter of perspective (considering one's basic income is up to the cost, whatever that is). I honestly shudder to think what my dad has spent on season tickets to his favorite college team's games over the years, but he doesn't consider it crazy (even though he complains more about it than he is willing to admit).
even with creating a sparse cellar I have found it to be very affordable.

Reactions: marlinspike

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
i completely agree. One of the best pleasures per dollar in the world.
Unless one lives in Nanny State Australia where 50 grams costs around $120 [with at least one more indexed tax hike this year]
Fortunately I stocked up while I had the chance.

• Wow
Reactions: Gecko

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Oh yes I've also grown my own for a few years. Last year I was travelling so I couldn't. But this year I'll be back at It!

I like wholeleaftobacco.com for ordering leaf as they have consistent quality.
But there are some other sites too. Totalleafsupply.com is another one that has some interesting varieties available as well as small quantity sizes as well.
Whole Leaf Tobacco is the best supplier.
I bought whole leaf from Leaf Only for a couple years, though. I was smoking strictly cigar leaf in a pipe at the time and they have many types of cigar leaf which were fun to sample.

Reactions: anotherbob
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Wow i thought we had it bad here in Sweden with 30 USD per tin, but 120 AUD that's brutal, god thing you managed to stock up ?
I agree, I don't know much about tin prices here, but I just came home from a visit to the grocery store and bought me a 1,75oz pack of Mc Barens Harmony(U.S Symphony) which set me back for $ 23 (Finland-Eu)Amphora Full red retails for $ 25, so from this point of view a quarter-liter of mediocre quality scotch whiskey would cost about the same ($22)You see,We must keep our nation healthy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I agree, I don't know much about tin prices here, but I just came home from a visit to the grocery store and bought me a 1,75oz pack of Mc Barens Harmony(U.S Symphony) which set me back for $ 23 (Finland-Eu)Amphora Full red retails for $ 25, so from this point of view a quarter-liter of mediocre quality scotch whiskey would cost about the same ($22)You see,We must keep our nation healthy
I say I get more pleasure from a pack of pipe tobacco then I would of a moderate bottle of booze, and compared to the price of other luxuries you can really dig into it's pretty cheap I am sure.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

RedZeppelin

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2020
ever been smoking your pipe and think about how little you have spent on that particular bowl? Even after accounting for the pipe, the lighter, pipe cleaners and other accessories? You know you get taken away by how good the experience is and realize that other luxuries of similar luxuriousness cost much more? Even at something "crazy" like 20 bucks a tin you still get how many smokes? Frankly I think that's the best selling point for pipe smoking. Is it's luxury on a budget.
And it beats going to the freakin' movies!

Reactions: anotherbob

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I love the hobby. I started about 6 years ago, and haven't looked back. I see lots of new people that start the hobby and are in awe of some forum members cellars. Yes it's like amassing tools, like in the movie Grand Torino when the kid is looking at Clint Eastwood's characters garage and asking...."Are all these tools yours? When did you get them?"

No, it doesn't happen overnight, and it's a slow trickle of purchases that slowly add up. I've recently looked at my cellar and while it doesn't compare to Peck's, at my current rate of consumption, I'll be smoking a bowl on my deathbead and telling my kids not to DARE throw away the Christmas Cheer. I've got tins/cans I've paid $15 bucks for, and could easily get 5 times as much if I were to sell.

All and all, the hobby has given me the chance to meet some great people online, and meet a few in person when the opportunity presented itself. Best wishes to all that enjoy this great pasttime. Keep your bowls full, and your dotle to a minimum. :)

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I first started about 20 years ago, and even then thought how much cheaper it was compared to cigars and cigarettes (I've never been a cigarette smoker). I was kind of on-and-off pipes for several years, but took it up again last year. I noticed some changes (Dr. Grabow pipes used to be about $12 at Walmart, and some of the big names in tobacco have gone out of business or sold their name). Tins are higher now, but bulk seems not to have changed much. I worry more now about capricious laws doing away with blends I like, so have been trying to stock up--that's the biggest difference now for me.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I first started about 20 years ago, and even then thought how much cheaper it was compared to cigars and cigarettes (I've never been a cigarette smoker). I was kind of on-and-off pipes for several years, but took it up again last year. I noticed some changes (Dr. Grabow pipes used to be about $12 at Walmart, and some of the big names in tobacco have gone out of business or sold their name). Tins are higher now, but bulk seems not to have changed much. I worry more now about capricious laws doing away with blends I like, so have been trying to stock up--that's the biggest difference now for me.
Ah yes....the "stocking up" game. I am currently playing it as well and just wish I knew when to bring it to a halt. I don't smoke much now, but when my kids get older or I retire, I might increase my sessions. It's kinda nerve - racking to new pipe smokers that have not amassed 400 lb stashes like some guys here, never knowing when they will drop the axe on us. All we can do is hope it rides out a little longer.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ah yes....the "stocking up" game. I am currently playing it as well and just wish I knew when to bring it to a halt. I don't smoke much now, but when my kids get older or I retire, I might increase my sessions. It's kinda nerve - racking to new pipe smokers that have not amassed 400 lb stashes like some guys here, never knowing when they will drop the axe on us. All we can do is hope it rides out a little longer.
Bulls are your friend. Buy 2-4 pounds/month and it amasses in no time.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I only smoke a bowl or so a day, but I buy 2 months worth (4oz) every Friday. I generally buy bulk and only tins when something I particularly like is on sale. I smoked through a bunch over the years to find a regular line up of readily available bulk blends, making sure I covered a bunch of brands too, that means I am always ready to make the most of a specific sale.

Last Friday I ordered 4oz of Double Down, thats smokingpipes.com leftover virginia and burley blends put together, including shipping all the way to New Zealand, that cost me $7.99 US!!!! Thats just under a buck a week for a couple of months smoking....