PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
ever been smoking your pipe and think about how little you have spent on that particular bowl? Even after accounting for the pipe, the lighter, pipe cleaners and other accessories? You know you get taken away by how good the experience is and realize that other luxuries of similar luxuriousness cost much more? Even at something "crazy" like 20 bucks a tin you still get how many smokes? Frankly I think that's the best selling point for pipe smoking. Is it's luxury on a budget.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
ever been smoking your pipe and think about how little you have spent on that particular bowl? Even after accounting for the pipe, the lighter, pipe cleaners and other accessories? You know you get taken away by how good the experience is and realize that other luxuries of similar luxuriousness cost much more? Even at something "crazy" like 20 bucks a tin you still get how many smokes? Frankly I think that's the best selling point for pipe smoking. Is it's luxury on a budget.
I try to explain this to my wife all the time. A good box of Cuban cigars sets me back $350-$400 for 20 smokes. That same amount can (will) get me a years worth of this hobby if I don't buy an expensive pipe.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

i completely agree. One of the best pleasures per dollar in the world.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I was amazed how cheap it was when I got started. As mentioned cigars are expensive as fuck and you can’t take a couple puffs off a cigar and sell or trade the rest like you can if you find a pipe tobacco you don’t like. Also pipes are expensive... but aren’t a consumable good so they retain at least some value... sometimes more than you paid depending on the pipe. Can’t say that about a cigar once you’ve lit it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Amortizing your costs maybe fun but, you are still spending "X" amount of moneys annually. Out of pocket money is still money gone no matter the justification. Watching your moneys waft up to the sky is fun as long as you can afford it.
totally. Which explains why there are times I don't smoke the pipe. When you're poor 20 bucks or even 10 can be the difference between eating and not eating.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I take joy in some low-end pipes. Half my blends are tributes to the common man. Still, I'd like a check for what I spend in a year on pipes, tobacco, and accessories. Compared to cigars, pipe tobacco is truly thrifty. Pipes, on the other hand, can go into the stratosphere. I have some up-market pipes I dearly love, but I am often rewarded by how well a Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, or Dr. Grabow smokes. It's a somewhat expensive indulgence on the installment plan.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I take joy in some low-end pipes. Half my blends are tributes to the common man. Still, I'd like a check for what I spend in a year on pipes, tobacco, and accessories. Compared to cigars, pipe tobacco is truly thrifty. Pipes, on the other hand, can go into the stratosphere. I have some up-market pipes I dearly love, but I am often rewarded by how well a Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, or Dr. Grabow smokes. It's a somewhat expensive indulgence on the installment plan.

Speaking of common man smokers, I have six KW’s from the 1920’s that are superb smokers. They have the large sphere at the end of the stinger, wide open draw and good draft.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Lol speak for yourself! In Canada for even OTC pipe tobacco it's around 30$ USD per 50G.

I buy whole leaf and do processing and blending myself at home to keep costs down. I also enjoy that sort of experimentation anyway so it's not that big of a deal for me. With how much I smoke it would be an expensive luxury otherwise. I'm quite jealous of you folks in the US and Europe. I stocked up last year in my travels to Europe which lasted me a few months. Was nice to try some of those blends I hear about.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I absolutely think of pipe tobacco as an affordable luxury.

I roast my own coffee beans, and think of it the same way: I get the freshest coffee made exactly how I like it, for less money than grocery store coffee, because I supply my own labour.

I don’t have the confidence to buy or grow whole leaves and make my own blends, but I imagine it’s even more rewarding.

Edwin Weaver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Living in Wisconsin
pipe-smoker.com
I absolutely think of pipe tobacco as an affordable luxury.

I roast my own coffee beans, and think of it the same way: I get the freshest coffee made exactly how I like it, for less money than grocery store coffee, because I supply my own labour.

I don’t have the confidence to buy or grow whole leaves and make my own blends, but I imagine it’s even more rewarding.
Check out the this thread for growing your own tobacco, cure, fermenting, and fire cured. you may enjoy it. Get to Plantin', Boys! D.C. Won't Stop Us. :: Tobacco Legislation - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/get-to-plantin-boys-d-c-wont-stop-us.75868/

Edwin Weaver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Living in Wisconsin
pipe-smoker.com
Lol speak for yourself! In Canada for even OTC pipe tobacco it's around 30$ USD per 50G.

I buy whole leaf and do processing and blending myself at home to keep costs down. I also enjoy that sort of experimentation anyway so it's not that big of a deal for me. With how much I smoke it would be an expensive luxury otherwise. I'm quite jealous of you folks in the US and Europe. I stocked up last year in my travels to Europe which lasted me a few months. Was nice to try some of those blends I hear about.
You may like the this thread Get to Plantin', Boys! D.C. Won't Stop Us. :: Tobacco Legislation - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/get-to-plantin-boys-d-c-wont-stop-us.75868/ there is also links to buying whole leaf

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Oh yes I've also grown my own for a few years. Last year I was travelling so I couldn't. But this year I'll be back at It!

I like wholeleaftobacco.com for ordering leaf as they have consistent quality.
But there are some other sites too. Totalleafsupply.com is another one that has some interesting varieties available as well as small quantity sizes as well.