PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdtakacs1

Lurker
Feb 29, 2020
Hello Folks -

Is there anywhere right now with Esoterica Stonehaven in stock? It seems like a unicorn. I am on the mailing list at smokingpipes to be notified when it does come available but just figured I'd here.

Thank you!!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

no

occasionally you will see some over at pipestud or assorted consignment scalpers for $175 a bag or so, but that's about it these days. SP will never email you. Ever. Even if they did you likely wouldn't get the email in time to beat the raving hordes of slobbering berserkers clamoring over each other to sink their jagged rotting teeth into every single last bag of the juice.

Some people have told me if you wait long enough Iwan Ries will eventually email you when it comes in there if you sign up, but lt's basically like being on a waiting list. A very long one.

You'd have the best luck trying to find a B&M with some.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welp, I guess some love it and consequently the lack of it...however after trying it many times, I can honestly say that I get nothing from it...almost anything else seems better...not a unicorn for me.
Stonehaven is a fickle bitch. Moisture has to be just right. Sometimes I smoke it and it's fantastic, other times it's just hot air. I find close to 1 hour is where it hits the sweet spot for me. But sometimes even then it gets wonky. I think it has moon dust in it or something. But, it CAN be great. It's just finnicky.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I've seen the beast in a b&m once or twice. For exceptionally reasonable prices as well. Online, you'll have to follow jaytex's sage advice and go to Hellen Waite... Dem's da breax!
Not that it's much easier to find, but I've seen favorable comparisons to Sam G's Kendal Cream.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
A lot of forum posts I have read point towards a B&M for the best chances. My one shop in the local mall actually had several tins sitting in there for /weeks/ ...I eventually bought most of the Dunbar and Tilbury but there's probably other tins still there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
SP will never email you. Ever. Even if they did you likely wouldn't get the email in time to beat the raving hordes of slobbering berserkers clamoring over each other to sink their jagged rotting teeth into every single last bag of the juice.
Basically, you get in the queue and everyone ahead of you goes first. It may be a couple of years before your number comes up. And even then, SP doesn't hold a bag for you, so you can wait and still wind up empty handed.

Some people have told me if you wait long enough Iwan Ries will eventually email you when it comes in there if you sign up, but lt's basically like being on a waiting list. A very long one.
True, but unlike SP, IR holds a bag for you. I got a notice for Penzance that must have been a couple of years old. I was given several days to exercise my option to buy the bag. I clicked through using the link provided in the notice I was given, otherwise the blend would have shown up as out of stock. While I was connected I decided to look to see if anything else was available and lo and behold, Stonehaven was available at a two bag limit, so I bought two bags in addition to the Penzance. Easy peasy.
The best way to find it is to contact B&M's that carry it and are willing to sell it to you. That's how I bought most of my Esoterica. Online dealers are a long shot.
Stonehaven is a complete PITA. If you don't get the moisture precisely correct, you'll get a dull smoke. Also, production is very uneven, batch to batch. When the stars align it is a truly great smoke. But, the stars are fickle.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I’ve been able to buy Stonehaven from an online retailer exactly 2 times in the last 10 years. Once in 2010 and another in 2019. Like others I’ve had much better luck at B&Ms.

You might want to keep an eye on the tobacco sale page here, it does pop up occasionally. A little over a year ago I was able to buy 2 lb + from 2012 at a great price. The listing could have been more precise but I took a chance and trusted a fellow pipe smoker. Its a pretty safe bet in my experience.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah I meant with Stonehaven (and Penzance) specifically, didn’t mean they wouldn’t with other more available blends.
I did get an email about Penzance back in 2015. No idea why but bought a bag for $27. Same bag I recently traded for the Three Year Matured Virginia with Steve.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
My Buddy from England brought me a brick of Rich dark flake in exchange for some bug spray when I met him in Punta Cana. I promptly paid him for the exchange and gave him the OFF as a bonus!!!

Reactions: dmcmtk

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I think The Rich Dark Flake Is a touch above Stonehaven. Could be just me, I dunno.. But the RDF is incredible... Stonehaven is as well but just under...

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I will have to slightly disagree with Alaskanpiper here. Stonehaven CAN be found online, because people DO buy it online, but it is RARE. Basically, a store might get one or two bags in, and once it hits the online store it is likely gone in less than a minute, but someone was able to buy it.

I have been able to buy Stonehaven a few times, but in person. Esoterica blends are not exactly rare in pipe stores, but they only get a few shipments a year. I prefer Rich Dark Flake over Stonehaven. Similar, but there was something different about it. I recently bought some Rich Dark Flake from 2007 and that should be a treat. Sometimes I smoke Stonehaven and think, “Why did I just waste my time?“

Side note: I tried Sutliff Match Victorian for the first time last night, and oh boy, it is good. Much cheaper than chasing Esoterica blends.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I will have to slightly disagree with Alaskanpiper here. Stonehaven CAN be found online, because people DO buy it online, but it is RARE. Basically, a store might get one or two bags in, and once it hits the online store it is likely gone in less than a minute, but someone was able to buy it.

I have been able to buy Stonehaven a few times, but in person. Esoterica blends are not exactly rare in pipe stores, but they only get a few shipments a year. I prefer Rich Dark Flake over Stonehaven. Similar, but there was something different about it. I recently bought some Rich Dark Flake from 2007 and that should be a treat. Sometimes I smoke Stonehaven and think, “Why did I just waste my time?“

Side note: I tried Sutliff Match Victorian for the first time last night, and oh boy, it is good. Much cheaper than chasing Esoterica blends.
There is an exception to every rule, I’m sure the lucky few have nabbed it at retail price online on occasion, was really just making the point that it is very very very unlikely and that B&Ms are the best bet.

Couldn’t agree more on match victorian, amazing blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.