PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Dear future Pipe fellows, my name is Marcello: I love cigars, zippo lighters, double edge razors, I own a motorcycle and basically I love rituals. So after 15 years smoking cigars I really would love to jump into the tobacco pipe lifestyle. Nevertheless I'm a bit intimidated by where to start (pipe, tobacco, tools). Any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Start small, as you’re going to have to try several pipes and many tobacco blends. Don’t try to decide which pipe is ”the one.” There isn’t a “the one.” Just get the next one you want to try. Same with tobacco.

I‘d suggest a Savinelli 6mm filter pipe of your aesthetic choice, as there are hundreds. The balsa filter helps make up for some amount of poor technique or wet tobacco. And get a tin of Presbyterian, mild but certainly not flavourless. But those are my tastes, maybe not yours.

A two dollar Czech tool and a pipe zippo and some matches will all serve you well, even if you move on to other tools. And don’t forget the pipe cleaners. Loads of them.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Get yourself a cob pipe and a few tins of pipe tobacco, and find out what your taste preferences are! Since you are already a cigar smoker, you are familiar with tobacco and nicotine, so I wouldn't worry about choosing something too strong for you. Maybe get an ounce of Virginia, burley, and an English blend to get your feet wet. You can use anything to lightly tamp the tobacco, like a golf tee or even your finger. Watch a few pipe smoking videos to get the just of it maybe

Feb 27, 2020
Start small, as you’re going to have to try several pipes and many tobacco blends. Don’t try to decide which pipe is ”the one.” There isn’t a “the one.” Just get the next one you want to try. Same with tobacco.

I‘d suggest a Savinelli 6mm filter pipe of your aesthetic choice, as there are hundreds. The balsa filter helps make up for some amount of poor technique or wet tobacco. And get a tin of Presbyterian, mild but certainly not flavourless. But those are my tastes, maybe not yours.

A two dollar Czech tool and a pipe zippo and some matches will all serve you well, even if you move on to other tools. And don’t forget the pipe cleaners. Loads of them.
Thanks so much! This is super helpful. Already understanding the craft by what you’re telling me. Where would you suggest to buy the pipe? I live in California but sadly there aren’t any shops around. Maybe any online shops you would recommend?

Reactions: maulragoth
Feb 27, 2020
Get yourself a cob pipe and a few tins of pipe tobacco, and find out what your taste preferences are! Since you are already a cigar smoker, you are familiar with tobacco and nicotine, so I wouldn't worry about choosing something too strong for you. Maybe get an ounce of Virginia, burley, and an English blend to get your feet wet. You can use anything to lightly tamp the tobacco, like a golf tee or even your finger. Watch a few pipe smoking videos to get the just of it maybe
That’s a great idea. Thanks so much for your inside. Will definitely see YouTube videos. Any online shops you recommend?

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
That’s a great idea. Thanks so much for your inside. Will definitely see YouTube videos. Any online shops you recommend?
Welcome from Oz.

www.tobaccopipes.com has a large range of bulk blends and great service.
Order an ounce of several different blends to see what you like.

Read reviews at www.tobaccoreviews.com to get an idea of what you might like.

Once you've found a few blends that you like, stock up by the pound. There's a push to stop on-line sales.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Thanks so much! This is super helpful. Already understanding the craft by what you’re telling me. Where would you suggest to buy the pipe? I live in California but sadly there aren’t any shops around. Maybe any online shops you would recommend?
Smokingpipes.com is the absolute best I have found. You find threads here all the time about how good their customer service is. Plus, orders seem to ship out of there (NC) within a couple of hours of ordering, which is awesome. And they have a great returns policy for pipes you don’t like, so long as you decide before you smoke it.

Feb 27, 2020
Welcome from Oz.

www.tobaccopipes.com has a large range of bulk blends and great service.
Order an ounce of several different blends to see what you like.

Read reviews at www.tobaccoreviews.com to get an idea of what you might like.

Once you've found a few blends that you like, stock up by the pound. There's a push to stop on-line sales.
Amazing! Will look into that. Thanks a bunch!

Feb 27, 2020
I always say go online look at the tins for sale. Get four or five that just jump out at you as sounding good or interesting. Make sure they're not all the same type. You'll learn a bit about what's out there and what agrees with your tastes. Get a good cheap pipe too. Cause it's worked out well for me so....
Makes sense! Thanks so much for the advice. This will get me going! You guys rock

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
When you buy your first few pipes, do keep in mind that a $30 Dr Grabow or a $10 MM cob will smoke just as well as a fancier pipe that's way more expensive.
I've got 3 MM cobs in my rotation and I intend to buy a few more [the first couple of bowls in a cob have a vegetal taste but after that you're good to go]
In actual fact, some blends taste better in an MM cob than a briar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

Where in The Golden State? I have three pipe shops within three miles.

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

There is a great resource that no one should be without. Lots of points of views and detailed information on tobaccos. Clicky below:

Status
Not open for further replies.