PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappadō

Lurker
Sep 26, 2018
Sticks of Chicagoland
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I am only posting this as I have read on - not just this forum, but many others - that some of us use one over the other - I found this, as well as all the other posts, interesting and informative. Happy Cleaning! :col:

1581707137830.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Denatured alcohol is essentially high proof ethanol (aka Everclear) with chemicals (bitterants) added to make it non-consumable (and hence not subject to the same taxes and regulations as consumable spirits).

I would NOT use denatured alcohol to clean pipes, for concern that those bitterants would eventually ghost the pipe.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Denatured alcohol is essentially high proof ethanol (aka Everclear) with chemicals (bitterants) added to make it non-consumable (and hence not subject to the same taxes and regulations as consumable spirits).

I would NOT use denatured alcohol to clean pipes, for concern that those bitterants would eventually ghost the pipe.
ok that's the stuff I was thinking of..

I've seen mint rubbing alcohol.. is it for drinking by homeless folk? :ROFLMAO:

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
If you arent using drinkable alcohol, its best to use 91 percent isopropyl. Check to make sure it has no coloring or additives so that when it evaporates it leaves behind only water.

Denatured alcohol contains poisons. So that when the alcohol evaporates something nasty is likely left behind or absorbed by the briar.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Benzene is a commonly used adulterant in denatured alcohol and causes cancer. There is more to worry about with denatured alcohol that just a little off taste.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If anyone has any estates from SPC, they use denatured alcohol to clean them.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
If anyone has any estates from SPC, they use denatured alcohol to clean them.

Well i guess thats the last estate i will buy from them.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.