PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I don’t see a big issue. From what I can see it has dulled out quite a bit but the finish is better than I envisioned. If it were my pipe I would put a coat of light brown shoe polish (paste in tin) on it, buff it out with a horse hair shoe polish brush and buff it with a microfiber cloth. This should do the trick and cause the pipe no harm. If you want to get more technical, you can purchase Lustersheen tinted wax but I would be very careful using it as it is a toluene based product. Many will say what I’m suggesting is a cheat and a major no-no, but I have corrected many pipe finishes with shoe polish and they all look just fine. I learned this method from Gustav Stickley who used to put stain in floor wax to correct the color of the furniture he made. Shoe polish is basically the same process. I hope that this work-around works well for you.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I don’t see a big issue. From what I can see it has dulled out quite a bit but the finish is better than I envisioned. If it were my pipe I would put a coat of light brown shoe polish (paste in tin) on it, buff it out with a horse hair shoe polish brush and buff it with a microfiber cloth. This should do the trick and cause the pipe no harm. If you want to get more technical, you can purchase Lustersheen tinted wax but I would be very careful using it as it is a toluene based product. Many will say what I’m suggesting is a cheat and a major no-no, but I have corrected many pipe finishes with shoe polish and they all look just fine. I learned this method from Gustav Stickley who used to put stain in floor wax to correct the color of the furniture he made. Shoe polish is basically the same process. I hope that this work-around works well for you.
Oh Yes Sir, I'm to agree with you, since I have previously had satisfactory results using high pigment color-rich shoe polishes, the main thing is to only use top-notch shoe care products, thanks for bringing this up to our information.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Oh Yes Sir, I'm to agree with you, since I have previously had satisfactory results using high pigment color-rich shoe polishes, the main thing is to only use top-notch shoe care products, thanks for bringing this up to our information.
You’re welcome. And, Yes, only high quality product should be used. Here is a picture of the last pipe I had to do a major color correction on. After cleaning (which took two hours and two packs of pipe cleaners), I had to use three different color shoe polishes to bring her color back to normal: black, brown & ox blood. I think she came out fairly well:
C294ED83-FBF8-475A-B97B-41E678371A25.jpeg7D7A3FF6-ABB9-4D9B-8B0D-3C227EEA97BF.jpeg8757598D-C40C-4C3A-A046-7E89747C82A7.jpeg996F0040-78D6-418D-9D54-FB001AEFCFE6.jpeg
I’m apologize for not having any before pictures, but she was bad. Rim lava, a worn out finish and a sticky-to-the-touch coating was over the whole pipe. As you can see now, her black is black; her browns are brown; and her red highlights (a major feature on Castello Sea Rock pipes) are red. Good luck with your Dunhill.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with BROBS, I never use Murphys Oil soap. The only use I can think of is if you would want to completely strip and re-stain a pipe. No regular pipe in use can be so grimy as to need that product.

I just picked up another jar of Halycon, wax for sandblast pipes. Give that a shot for rejuvenation.

clean them with water and a toothbrush then re-wax after dry with halcyon 2 and a toothbrush.
use a different toothbrush. :)

I'm not sure where murphy's oil soap ever got into the equation but that stuff leaves a residue.. they don't even recommend that you use it on antique furniture. It also has literal soap in it.
not a product I want anywhere near my pipe.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Murphy's Oil Soap will remove finish - if you use hot water and a sizeable amount of soap, and a somewhat aggressive cleaning action, such as a fine brass bristle brush. However, the amount of finish removed is variable, depending on the stain/dye originally used. It contains Potassium Hydroxide (Lye) in a miniscule amount ( 2-3%). Reduced with water, the amount is but a trace. Incidentally, many commercially available soaps, detergents, etc. also use Potassium Hydroxide in higher percentages. Of these soaps and detergents, Murphy's Oil Soap is probably the least aggressive of the lot.

I have used it for years, when I feel it's necessary. No ill effects. As I mentioned when I posted the MSDS for Murphy's, there are far more damaging chemicals in tobacco smoke, approximately 4000, 70 of which are known carcinogens.

I guess if I was concerned about the chemicals in the soap, I would just use water and white vinegar to clean the pipe. As for removing stain, a drop or two of Murphy's in a cup of warm water and gentle brushing followed by a brushing with clean water won't affect the stain much. Dependent on what type of stain was originally used of course.

Aniline dyes, commonly used for staining pipes, are nothing more than fine ground particulates that can penetrate the pores and surface of the wood. They can be removed to a degree by scrubbing and hot water alone. Or let loose with the pressure washer cranked up to 3200 psi...

So with that in mind - use it - or don't...

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Great input, Craig. I will refrain from using Murphy's full strength in the future, dooh...

It only comes out in the worst cases anyhow.

Jun 23, 2019
Hi guys - I'm cleaning up a used-and-abused sandbhlast Emil Chonowitsch and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a video tutorial for re-staining a pipe?

TIA<

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Does the smell of Murphys Soap not burn your nose? When my wife starts cleaning floors with it, I have to go outside to keep my eyes and sinuses from running like crazy.
it's horrible man... I don't know why you would put that on a pipe.

as for re-staining.. can you be a little more specific as to what you are trying to do @lukasstrifeson ?

I use fiebings institutional leather dye as it's water based and won't harm the wood. Plus you can drink it!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Baaaah! Murphy's Oil is fine stuff. Craig's post above was right-on. I have no reaction to it and I've used it full strength.

And if you drink that stain, you've got bigger problems than how Murphy's Oil smells.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Woah. Good research on the Fiebings, Craig. What line of business are you in? A bio-chemistry background?

?
Retired Electrical Engineer. Worked in the electronics field then software for many years.

Bottom line: You’re exposed to potentially harmful chemicals on a daily basis. Very small amounts spread over long periods of time would not have much effect.

Now, if you worked in a factory for twenty years staining furniture or painting auto bodies, the exposure would be greatly multiplied. Your employer would provide you PPE to mitigate the exposure.

Once the materials we are discussing here have dried, set, cured, been washed away, what have you, the risk of exposure to a debilitating chemical is infinitesimally small. Even if you were to stick the pipe in your mouth like a lollipop and suck on it all day long...

Reactions: mau1
Status
Not open for further replies.