PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I acquired this One Dot recently. I have questions on it's pedigree

1. The patent no is not clearly stamped. However in the pipe I can read it to be ....13/25, which I take it to a 1925 patent. It is about the time One Dots we’re stopped being sold in America. So is this an American or European One Dot

2. I have seen one dots with this patent number being sold earlier. However based on the photos and nomenclature, do you think it is completely authentic?

@sablebrush52 @dmcmtk @jguss @ssjones

PS: The pipe looks beautiful in person than the photos, nicely restored

FAF05FF3-6032-4432-90F1-D58709A1AE53.jpeg1C5DA397-5BE3-4A41-833C-45519E271283.jpegCA26BF6D-F14C-4B54-962F-C83AD14D7608.jpeg9E28D2E3-6202-434C-9674-EDBC8E1BC60D.jpeg09494CDD-7F65-48C2-A6C3-8A9C3F6E5756.jpeg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'm not particularly a Sasieni expert, but it looks real to me. I also find it hard to believe that someone has enough time on their hands to prepare such a careful fake for relatively little return. But maybe that's just me.

The patent referred to is GB242,513 applied for on March 21, 1925 and accepted on November 12 of that year (for the original documentation see: Espacenet - Original document - https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=GB&NR=242513A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=19251112&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP). A perusal of the patent will tell you more than you probably want to about what's being claimed as innovative ("...saliva from the smoker's mouth is prevented from reaching the tobacco in the bowl of the pipe, oil and other liquids condensed in the pipe stem from the tobacco smoke is prevented from reaching the smoker's mouth" etc). A more time consuming activity would be comparing it to all the other such patents propagated across the industry over the decades and concluding why this one is any more "special" than the others. Forgive my cynicism; too much exposure to too much marketing hype over too many years.

In any case what's obviously missing are the innards, but that's quite common with all such patented insertions.

It's a beautiful pipe, I think it genuine, and I hope you enjoy it!

Sasieni GB 242513 patent drawing .jpg

Reactions: cshubhra
Thank you very much! It’s amazing that you (Individual you as well as collectively the knowledge of the forum) possess such wealth of knowledge on the subject. Truly humbling!
I'm not particularly a Sasieni expert, but it looks real to me. I also find it hard to believe that someone has enough time on their hands to prepare such a careful fake for relatively little return. But maybe that's just me.

The patent referred to is GB242,513 applied for on March 21, 1925 and accepted on November 12 of that year (for the original documentation see: Espacenet - Original document - https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=GB&NR=242513A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=19251112&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP). A perusal of the patent will tell you more than you probably want to about what's being claimed as innovative ("...saliva from the smoker's mouth is prevented from reaching the tobacco in the bowl of the pipe, oil and other liquids condensed in the pipe stem from the tobacco smoke is prevented from reaching the smoker's mouth" etc). A more time consuming activity would be comparing it to all the other such patents propagated across the industry over the decades and concluding why this one is any more "special" than the others. Forgive my cynicism; too much exposure to too much marketing hype over too many years.

In any case what's obviously missing are the innards, but that's quite common with all such patented insertions.

It's a beautiful pipe, I think it genuine, and I hope you enjoy it!

View attachment 19160

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
My first question, just out of curiosity is, where did you buy it? Don't say from Italy. Does the stem have the "sloped/angled" detail at the join? As you can see from Jon's post, the major change from the earlier (1920) patent is the stinger's shape, though it isn't clear whether it's a push fit or a screw fit. You then see the later 1928 Patent on some pipes, certain Eight Dots I've seen come to mind.

I bought it from a very reputed seller from US. I don’t think he has as much knowledge on Sasieni as you, so he definitely has sold it to me on good faith.

I re examined the stem - It looks to my eye exactly how it is supposed to look as per jguss’s post above. It is hard to take a photo, but I will try.

My first question, just out of curiosity is, where did you buy it? Don't say from Italy. Does the stem have the "sloped/angled" detail at the join? As you can see from Jon's post, the major change from the earlier (1920) patent is the stinger's shape, though it isn't clear whether it's a push fit or a screw fit. You then see the later 1928 Patent on some pipes, certain Eight Dots I've seen come to mind.

Reactions: dmcmtk
Thank you! This is an interesting tool going forward in research. I saw some (actually two or three) one dots with 1925 patent elsewhere on the net. Worthpoint shows five more.
The other thing you can try for reference purposes is to do a worthpoint search using the word sasieni and the number 242513 (here's a link to the search I did: 242513 sasieni - page 1 | WorthPoint - https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?query=242513+sasieni&category=). Five listings of prior sales will pop up, with photos, that might be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.