PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
It’s a start and I’m able to implement for less than $10. I went to HF and bought a small polishing kit. The wheel is a little small, but it’s all they had. I was happy to get the mandrel. Can get a larger wheel when they have them in stock.

9F83B3DE-C610-4406-9E12-9090B95F8E33.jpeg

I took the two outermost rows of stitches out.
BD00C16B-0C73-4FEB-8A3F-9116FDBC4DEF.jpeg
I got this drill when I was 16 years old. It mounts nicely in the vice and by plugging it into the strip in my bench I have an on and off switch.
CC8E459C-5A39-45DD-813E-BD3E779C4163.jpeg
I used a little Velcro strip to tie back the trigger at a speed that I think works.
EB0836D4-05BA-4D7E-9C08-116DB217A665.jpeg
Now I just need a bar of carnuba wax.

Reactions: upnorth1

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reactions: AlabamaDan

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Yep, I bought my bar from Beall about nine years ago. It's still over 80% of it's original size, you don't need much on the buff pad.

OMG! It arrived today and what a HUGE difference it makes! If you're not using the buffing wheel and carnauba wax do it today. Using stuff I already had in the shop and $20 in new supplies I am in business!

In addition to all the pipes, I polished my wedding band! The wife is going to be happy. :)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
A horse hair shoe polish brush.
View attachment 18677
Hahaha, I was thinking of posting a pic of one when I saw your post.

That's what I use to buff leather. I could use it on a pipe; if it doesn't scratch leather it won't scratch wood.

I'm not sure I can use the only carnauba I have ? on pipes, though:

61iYFj5EG%2BL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Reactions: gamzultovah

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Hahaha, I was thinking of posting a pic of one when I saw your post.

That's what I use to buff leather. I could use it on a pipe; if it doesn't scratch leather it won't scratch wood.

I'm not sure I can use the only carnauba I have ? on pipes, though:

61iYFj5EG%2BL._AC_SY741_.jpg
You can, you just have to give the wax 5 to 10 minutes to set up first. A horse hair brush brings out the depth of a pipe (especially blasted and rusticated pipes) like nothing else can. Also, you will never get “buffer burn” if you polish the briar by hand. Even on my worst restoration jobs I only use micro-mesh pads, microfiber towels and a horse hair brush. The pipe below was in the worst condition you can imagine and still be considered functional...and look at it now. Look at the depth of the plateau and the wood grain. All done by hand and with a horse hair brush.
4F2B89BF-566C-4B85-A485-EDCFD7057CD4.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: AlabamaDan and JMcQ

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Can you do the wash cleaning method after using carnauba? My MacQueen's manual says never to let the pipe get in contact with water because they used carnauba to finish it. But I'm thinking that if I can reapply carnauba, maybe I don't have to fret about getting it a bit wet.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I tried to set one up once using a bench grinder, and lint from that fluffy wheel/disc/thing....whatever its called, flew everywhere. I never perfected it, and as a result only care for the pipes by hand polishng them.

Reactions: gamzultovah

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
I tried to set one up once using a bench grinder, and lint from that fluffy wheel/disc/thing....whatever its called, flew everywhere. I never perfected it, and as a result only care for the pipes by hand polishng them.
I’ve got some of that but it’s getting better.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Can you do the wash cleaning method after using carnauba? My MacQueen's manual says never to let the pipe get in contact with water because they used carnauba to finish it. But I'm thinking that if I can reapply carnauba, maybe I don't have to fret about getting it a bit wet.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. When I clean/restore a pipe they all look like hell midway through; the kind of hell that makes you think "Well, I've just screwed that pipe up." But in the end, they all look beautiful. A little water shouldn't hurt the briar at all.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.