PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaxz

Lurker
Jan 18, 2020
Hello pipe smokers.
My son and I are looking at getting into pipe smoking this spring. In saying that, we have a pipe that was my Dad's and was given to my son along with some other nick knacks when he passed away a number of years ago. Well, unbeknownst to me, the kid tried smoking it when he was 14 and ended up breaking it. Not a big deal. Anyway, since we are wanting to try pipe smoking (he's 22 now) I thought I'd dig out Dad's pipe and firstly identify it and then see if we can get it repaired, for sentimental reasons. Our local cigar/pipe shop apparently does that.

I did a Google search with the markings found on the bottom but did not have much luck. Can someone please help in identifying this and giving a rough year of when it was made/sold?

Reactions: chopper
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Looks like a Capitol to me, a Savinelli second. I don't know anything beyond that, but I think that much is correct?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoever made the pipe, I think repairs are a wonderful idea, especially since it is forgiveness for it getting broken. Legacy pipes are the best. No pipes from my dad or his dad, but I did inherit a fine walnut round pipe rack with an amber tobacco jar in the middle, which I treasure. I remember it sitting beside Gramp's chair in their sunny side parlor near a window of house plants, and later on our living room mantle. Real familial warmth. You and your son may not recognize the restored pipe at first, since a lot can be done to make them new.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome to the forum. I recently got a replacement stem made for a Savinelli Oscar 802 EX. I sent it to Briarville and cost under $40 with shipping. That's another option you have.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Welcome to the forum. I recently got a replacement stem made for a Savinelli Oscar 802 EX. I sent it to Briarville and cost under $40 with shipping. That's another option you have.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.
If you want to keep the pipe serviceable this is your best option.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here's what it says in the link:
Question: I need a new stem for my Savinelli, Peterson, or Rossi pipe. Can you help me?
Answer: We can! Email us at sales@laudisi.com and for a fee of $40 we will fix or replace your stem as needed. We do this in house with authentic Savinelli, Rossi and Peterson mouthpieces, and this process usually takes 1-2 months.

If you desire a Savinelli, Peterson, or Rossi stem that we don't have in stock, a stem for a handmade pipe (Autograph, etc), or you simply prefer for the pipe to be fixed in the Savinelli or Peterson factory, we will need to send the pipe to Italy or Ireland. Send it to us and we’ll get it to Savinelli or Peterson. The fee is $80 and, as you can probably figure, a big part of this cost is in the international shipping. This usually takes about 6 weeks.

Simply send your pipe in to us to the attention of "LDG Stem Repair" and let us know which route you'd like to take.

Thanks Duane. That's good to know.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here's what it says in the link:
Question: I need a new stem for my Savinelli, Peterson, or Rossi pipe. Can you help me?
Answer: We can! Email us at sales@laudisi.com and for a fee of $40 we will fix or replace your stem as needed. We do this in house with authentic Savinelli, Rossi and Peterson mouthpieces, and this process usually takes 1-2 months.

If you desire a Savinelli, Peterson, or Rossi stem that we don't have in stock, a stem for a handmade pipe (Autograph, etc), or you simply prefer for the pipe to be fixed in the Savinelli or Peterson factory, we will need to send the pipe to Italy or Ireland. Send it to us and we’ll get it to Savinelli or Peterson. The fee is $80 and, as you can probably figure, a big part of this cost is in the international shipping. This usually takes about 6 weeks.

Simply send your pipe in to us to the attention of "LDG Stem Repair" and let us know which route you'd like to take.

Thanks Duane. That's good to know.
Very welcome. Came across it a few years ago. The addition of Peterson is a resent development.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
A legacy pipe from my pop would have been highly treasured.

It looks like the tenon is broken rather than the stem. Is that correct?

If you're sending it to Briarville, you may as well have a complete restoration done while they're at it.
I'm not sure of the cost but I'm sure it's not a lot [Anyone know what a restoration by Briarville costs with a new stem?]

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If you're sending it to Briarville, you may as well have a complete restoration done while they're at it.
I'm not sure of the cost but I'm sure it's not a lot [Anyone know what a restoration by Briarville costs with a new stem?]
They have a price list is on their website. They have a $39 "Restoration Special"...not sure what that includes though.

Reactions: chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.