PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
I dumped the salt and started a fresh batch. It still smelled pretty bad. We'll see how tomorrow goes. As for the stinger, are these supposed to be holes? They are completely plugged.16951

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Wow. A new batch after 12 and another dark brown. I’ll just let it keep sitters big for now. I’ve still got to determine of that sting should have four holes or not.17037

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Whew. Dumped the salt today and did a round of pipe cleaners and q-tips. This sure is a dirty pipe. I put the chamber back into another salt bath. This is #3.

had to develop a method to soak the stinger in alcohol without getting it down. I don’t think the stem is vulcanite and don’t want to mess it up like I did the plastic one. 1716217161

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I would take a paper clip and try to scrap some of the gunk out of the stinger holes.

There are a lot of different stingers. Here's 4 different stingers and the one on the far right (Emperor Bent Bull) was just caked up with gunk and some oxy-clean soaking and plenty of pipe cleaners I got it like new.

As for the salt bath...that same pipe needed three salt baths.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
crash's Ruf-Tone looks about like mine, with a little brighter stain, and apparently definitely briar, like mine, though mine is a different shape, sort of an author. But Alabama's Ruf-Tone does look like another material -- look at the rim for example -- or maybe some kind of a finish that is different. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it raises the question of material, or if it is briar, is there a coating on the finish beyond stain? Alabama, working on the pipe, does it become more convincingly briar or do you still have questions?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
My rufftone has the same stem/stinger setup as yours. It's definitely not removable but the top hole passes a pipe cleaner, especially cheap craft chenille straws, which I always keep handy.

Reactions: AlabamaDan

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
crash's Ruf-Tone looks about like mine, with a little brighter stain, and apparently definitely briar, like mine, though mine is a different shape, sort of an author. But Alabama's Ruf-Tone does look like another material -- look at the rim for example -- or maybe some kind of a finish that is different. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it raises the question of material, or if it is briar, is there a coating on the finish beyond stain? Alabama, working on the pipe, does it become more convincingly briar or do you still have questions?
@mso489 Is yours like mine?

Reactions: SpookedPiper

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Also, I had good luck cleaning the stem with toothbrush/toothpaste. You can put some toothpaste on a pipe cleaner and get the inside that way too. I usually give the chamber a good brushing after salt/alcohol treatment too... just do it somewhere back spray from the bristles won't be an issue.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
working on the pipe, does it become more convincingly briar or do you still have questions?

It still doesn’t feel like Brian to me. If it is it has a varnish or something on the out side. The inside is still full of cake so I can’t tell from the chamber.

Reactions: rushx9

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rushx9, nice looking pipe, and yes, mine is generically very similar in texture and carving, although yours (to my eyes) looks perhaps more apple shape, and mine more author, with a slightly flatter wider bowl. But yes, they likely came off the same line. When mine arrived, it looked like a good little cooker, but pretty plain Jane, but it has grown on me in that American factory pipe way, like a 1950's Chevrolet coupe.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
It still doesn’t feel like Brian to me. If it is it has a varnish or something on the out side. The inside is still full of cake so I can’t tell from the chamber.
I'm pretty sure they are varnished. I have a kaywoodie saxon that also feels questionable, like its finished with a layer of acrylic or something. I think maybe they boil their stummels in oil? Does it have "imported briar" or similar stamped on the bottom?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Nm, I just looked at your first pic again. I think the illegible stamping under Ruf-Tone says imported briar. Could be wrong though.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
rushx9, nice looking pipe, and yes, mine is generically very similar in texture and carving, although yours (to my eyes) looks perhaps more apple shape, and mine more author, with a slightly flatter wider bowl. But yes, they likely came off the same line. When mine arrived, it looked like a good little cooker, but pretty plain Jane, but it has grown on me in that American factory pipe way, like a 1950's Chevrolet coupe.
I was impressed by how well mine smokes, even with the stinger. Like an ugly girl that tries harder in the ways that really count... gotta get her hot and appreciate the inner beauty ?

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
A little piddling tonight. Look how much stuff came off the stinger. 17397
I wiped it with a paper towel
And now it does look cleaner. The thee holes on the little ball end still are black. Do they get better? Is there something in there like a screen?17398

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
A little piddling tonight. Look how much stuff came off the stinger. View attachment 17397
I wiped it with a paper towel
View attachment 17399
And now it does look cleaner. The thee holes on the little ball end still are black. Do they get better? Is there something in there like a screen?View attachment 17398
Nothing inside, they are just indentations. A toothbrush or bristley pipe cleaner will get in there. Also works well on the screw threads.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Well after the 3 salt baths and a couple days of coffee grounds it no longer stinks. Now it just smells Like a normal pipe.

Also, it reads imported briar but I swear it has some kind of paint or varnish or something on it.
A375D9CF-60CE-4427-966F-35E425D80D7A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.