PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
I bought about a dozen meerschaum pipes, when I was stationed overseas during the early 1980's. I've given a few away over the years, but I still have 7 or 8 of them. Many of them are still un-smoked, but the ones I have smoked are coloring nicely. Small ones can color fairly quickly, but the larger ones take decades. They start at the shank, and the color moves slowly forward, patients is definitely needed to get a big one to finally show its color.

They're an interesting pipe to smoke, they have a lot of aesthetic value, as well as the fairly neutral addition to the smoke. However, a well seasoned meerschaum, will add more and more flavor to the smoke. They also get much harder as they absorb the tars, turning from a brittle, easily broken pipe, to being rock hard. I thoroughly enjoy smoking a meerschaum pipe, but certainly not to exclusion. I love my briar pipes equally well.

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
what abo
After a few weeks or months. There's really no need if you keep them clean.

This is blowing my mind. Have I just been too paranoid these past 6 years of pipe Smoking? Is it possible to smoke my favorite pipe everyday? IS EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE EVER BEEN TOLD A LIE? DO I EXIST?

Reactions: whsergent

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You've gone after myths. Or after the infamous cake.

I thoroughly clean my pipes after every smoke, and even if I've smoked 'goopy' aromatics (and aromatics is mostly what I smoke, and they're not all 'goopy') the pipe is ready to go on the next morning.

Reactions: Dissident_Mantis

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Same as briar.

Couldn't find the experience notably different from smoking a briar or cob so I got rid of the two meers I had.
Asshole! Just kidding.

I notice differences but those differences differ from day to day. Pick one up and experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.