PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axonedge

Lurker
Jan 14, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Hello ladies and gentlemen! I want to buy my first pipe and someone offered me as recommendation this product from aliexpress: US $34.3 30% OFF|RU NewBee Briar Wood tobacco smoking pipe with long stem mouthpiece+short mouthpiece 9 mm filter 10 cleaning Tools Tamper aa0038-in Cigar Accessories from Home & Garden on AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961240401.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.1.2a417d6cWoZFbI&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.13339.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=68be6d72-4b71-40aa-80e9-ca45be5a9e90

What do you think, is it safe to buy this? Given the fact that I am from Romania, the pipe market here, especially for the Churchwarden models, is pretty scarce.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: whsergent

Axonedge

Lurker
Jan 14, 2020
my 2 cents, Chinese pipes are to be avoided if possible. quality control, inferior possibly toxic materials used in construction and for that, the price is too high, you can get an offbrand Italian Churchwarden for that price
the problem is I can't find many alternatives here, in Romania. The only ones I managed to find are these:
Pipe Molina - https://www.pipemagazin.ro/pipe-molina.html
for currency conversion purposes, 1$ = 4.3 RON and 1 euro = 4.8 RON

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Can you order from Smoking Pipes Europe? What about Amazon or ebay?

I bought a nice estate Larsen on ebay from a seller in Romania about a year or so ago.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your access to quality pipes is an obstacle. If possible, I'd suggest you go with a known brand whether you go for a new pipe or an estate (used) pipe. I think you would be happier with one of the standard Italian, French, Danish, or English brands. A good pipe can last for decades, most of your life. I have my first pipe, made by Chacom in France, as a house pipe for a U.S. chain, Tinder Box. I'd look for a Savinelli, Stanwell, Chacom, PC, Big Ben, Nording, Parker, or Missouri Meerschaum (corncob pipes) from the U.S. I feel that you might find at least some of the European brands in Romania or get them via online retailers.

Reactions: diamondback

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Smokingpipes.eu has many good deals on Savinelli and Rossi pipes. Also Bolito Pipe has many unfinished Savinelli Grezze (as Paul mentioned) pipes for a very good price. I can vouch for these. I have not had any experiences with Chinese made pipes, good or bad.

Good luck!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I can't echo previous advice enough: AVOID SINOJUNK. You get what you pay for, and with Chinese crap you might end up paying more than you bargained for (asbestos, chemicals, God know what else: they have no quality control and don't care if whoever buys and uses their junk dies).

Better to get a basket pipe from a local tobacconist than anything fancy from the likes of aliexpress, dhgate, or Chinese sellers on Amazon.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
If you do buy from Aliexpress let us know the details when you get it and smoke it. I have looked at similar for years and never bought them. I do know that pipes are very common on the site, I just do not know anyone who has bought and tried one.

If you do buy from Aliexpress let us know the details
I've always thought that this site was sketchy, but then one day my youngest started getting packages in the mail, lots of them. She was buying purses for $.05, designer looking clothes for less than a dollar, and lots of doodads. And, she was really happy with the stuff, and she was really stretching her dollar, ha ha. I still haven't bought from them, but apparently, it is like Amazon for the rest of the world.

Reactions: saintpeter
Status
Not open for further replies.