Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Words of wisdom picked up from the pipe world...

When I first started going to The Briary and hanging out, I was still learning the basics. As most newbies are, I was not as full of confidence and bravado as I am today. I wasn't comfortable packing my pipe or even lighting it with a room full of experienced pipe smokers looking at me. Then when Skip, the owner, saw me sort of cover my pipe and turn my head when I lit it, said, "Hey, in here, no one tells a cowboy how to ride his horse... unless you ask for help." This meant that no matter how stupid your pipe smoking technique is, you are doing it correctly; however, if you ask, anyone or everyone in the room with help you. The key words were, "If you ask." Meaning, if you see someone doing something you've never seen before, it's just their way, and keep your mouth shut, unless they ask for feedback or help. Then, at that point, no holds barred... everyone is going to have a say.

That said, if out and about with my pipe, and someone wants to say, "hey, you are doing this or that wrong." It's an invitation to getting a metaphorical hole blown through you. I don't care if you just started smoking or you've been doing it for 30 of your 40 years on this ball of mud. So, to give some confidence to the new guys, just ride you horse however you want. There is no right or wrong. But, if you want some tips on riding better or even on how to stay on the damned thing, then feel free to ask... because some of these old cowboys have been looking stupid on their horse for longer than you've been alive.

But, take criticisms with a grain of salt. Every question gets a hundred answers on here, and maybe three of those hundred answers has any grasp on reality. You just have to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff. Learn to pick out comments that are just meant to be funny, and when someone lays down an insult, it's not yours till you pick it up and put it on.

What are some great words of wisdom you've picked up from the pipe world?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2012
I don't have anything useful to add yet. However, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of the post. I may not agree with some of the restoration techniques that have appeared recently but it's not up to me to tell you about it...unless you ask. I've stuck my nose in too many times where it wasn't wanted (can we say slow learner?) and learned to keep my big beak out most of the time.

I'll happily answer any questions you may have though.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
But, take criticisms with a grain of salt. Every question gets a hundred answers on here, and maybe three of those hundred answers has any grasp on reality. You just have to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff. Learn to pick out comments that are just meant to be funny, and when someone lays down an insult, it's not yours till you pick it up and put it on.

Nicely said Cosmic! Words of wisdom.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I don't have anything useful to add yet. However, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of the post. I may not agree with some of the restoration techniques that have appeared recently but it's not up to me to tell you about it...unless you ask. I've stuck my nose in too many times where it wasn't wanted (can we say slow learner?) and learned to keep my big beak out most of the time.

I'll happily answer any questions you may have though.

Just FYI, if you ever see me with a restoration question, please, speak up!!! I’ll take any and all help I can get. :)

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

• Just to smoke what you enjoy, both in tobacco and pipe.
  • The price of the pipe has little to do with your enjoyment of it. You like what you like.
  • Cellar now, for tomorrow the tobacco Nazi's may strike.
  • Sharing what tobaccos and pipes you have makes life richer.
  • You don't graduate from aromatics to English and Virginia's.
  • It's pipe smoking, not rocket science.
  • Pipe smokers aren't immune from arrogance, ignorance or pathos. If anything it, to a degree, attracts them and there will always be those who need to show off their masters degree in one or all of those fields.
  • Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill in the same night (ok, this might not be from the pipe smoking world, but its just good advice)

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I've been piping for about 8 years now, and I've learned everything from the gents around here. Some are gone and some only post every now and then but I've always remembered the true core message. Smoke what you like and if it works for you then damnit your doing it right.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Best advice I got when I was starting: slow down. Best advice I got when I started cleaning up estate pipes: slow down.

Just FYI, if you ever see me with a restoration question, please, speak up!!! I’ll take any and all help I can get

Slow down! Haha

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That is a great analogy. It's basically how I treat every situation. I have a friend who's choosing to get married to someone all of us hate....I'm using this analogy as we speak....she's really shitty to him, but he didn't ask for anyone's advice. I've been biting my tongue for 3 years now...

I have a friend who's choosing to get married to someone all of us hate....
I do this for my daughters also, but I've told them all that I get one speech. When I don't approve of one of their friends or "interests," they have to hear me out one time, where I tell them my concerns, but then after that I will keep my trap shut. But, luckily, my daughters tend to take my advice, so that I don't have to hold in anything unsaid after that. I've got really good girls.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
That is a great analogy. It's basically how I treat every situation. I have a friend who's choosing to get married to someone all of us hate....I'm using this analogy as we speak....she's really shitty to him, but he didn't ask for anyone's advice. I've been biting my tongue for 3 years now...

Same here. My best buddy has a girlfriend that has questionable morals and is controlling. Among our friends, this matter comes up in discussion from time to time. I try and stay above it with similar comments about how if I'm not feeding, F**, or financing it, I don't need to worry about it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I received my first and only Meerschaum, an estate, from the late great fish'n'banjo, so I cleaned it up following suggestions from Forums, for example using warm tap water and a paper towel to give the bowl and shank a bath until most of the residual carbon was out. Cleaned up the stem separately with a dish detergent soak and pipe cleaners. Later when I went to my local independent pipe shop both the owner and his assistant helped me consider replacing the little gasket between the shank and stem. When I described how I'd cleaned up the pipe, the assistant smirked and let out a gasp as if I had done something terrible, but backed up by sound advice, I didn't bat an eye, and I noticed neither did the owner/pipe guru himself. So the assistant just backed off and helped another customer. A little knowhow from knowing sources goes a long way. The pipe is a fine smoker, and thank you to Sante, wherever you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.