PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wet sanded with 600 grit sandpaper using the lightest of hands. I'm talking sanding a spot, rinsing, drying, then seeing if it needed more. Then through the suite of micromesh pads, then Meguiars Plastx polish, then mineral oil a few times, then a few coats of Carnauba wax.

Whew!

But it did get rid of the grainyness I mentioned before and smoothed out the shine. I'm really happy with the results.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Great job Mike. I have a Silver Mac Duff estate pipe that has a grainy stem. I wasn't sure how to polish it up...now I know. Well done!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Looking very good so far! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pipe. That's an elegant shape. Nice lines. I have recently found myself really liking bent bulldogs and Rhodesians where I never really cared for them too much in the past. Funny how tastes can change over time.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Great job Mike. I have a Silver Mac Duff estate pipe that has a grainy stem. I wasn't sure how to polish it up...now I know. Well done!

Like Al suggested, I think the grainy/rough stems are a sign of a lower grade vulcanite. But they can be saved! It is not as polished as some other stems, but certainly glossy.

Excellent job! I've just sent six stems off to you for doing so well.....

haha! I can feel my fingers aching already!

Looking very good so far! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pipe. That's an elegant shape. Nice lines. I have recently found myself really liking bent bulldogs and Rhodesians where I never really cared for them too much in the past. Funny how tastes can change over time.

Thanks, there is definitely something to this one. I'm eager to see how the grain cleans up and shows.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.