PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is a GBD second, an Irwin shape 9491 in relatively good shape. The only thing that I have to read up on is preserving the logo in the stem. I've read about covering it with Vaseline during the oxy clean bath to preserve it. I've had a little success with that in the past but I want to be careful to preserve it if I can.

I haven't found mention of this shape in the GBD pipe charts that I've come across. If anyone can post one up of give an approximate date that would be very welcome.

These are the best pictures I could take on the greyest day of the year!

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Dave I knew that and for some reason has Comoys in my head this morning! Thanks for the clarification!

I can get you some Comoys in your hands!!! lol

Seriously though, soon I will be posting pipes and more tobacco in the FS sections. I’m on hold for posting as we’ve a close family member who has been given days and I don’t want to put up a sale then go out of state suddenly. I try very hard to ship same-day or the next day at the latest.

But yes, pictures, sir, pictures!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I might just try that lighter and wet paper towel trick. I'd really like to save the stem logo. I feel like that's a good skill to acquire.

Thanks Bill, I just may need it!

Looking forward to seeing the final results.

As am I!

Skip the oxy clean and just use a magic eraser.
Toothpaste is just for polish and shine. I use a lighter and wet paper towel for the oxidation as here in the afore mentioned 9613.

So embers, is it the lighter and paper towel first? Or the magic eraser to remove the bulk of the oxidation first?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So embers, is it the lighter and paper towel first? Or the magic eraser to remove the bulk of the oxidation first?
One or the other, I just don't use the erasers anymore. If you opt to go the lighter way, work very slowly as the heat can lift stamping on ebonite. The eraser would be the more gentle approach to save the stamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.