PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Does anyone own or have any info on a pipe stamped Royal Briar Sasieni Made? I just picked one up from SP website and they listed it as a 1940s Sasieni. Was researching it on pipephil, but no specific examples shown. It has a more open rustication than my other Sasienis and I noticed that it is lacking any dot logos on the stem. There appears to be a logo on top of the stem, but it is so faint I cannot decide for certain what it is. I am thinking it might be an entwined RB.

The markings on the bottom of the pipe are:

46R
ROYAL BRIAR
SASIENI MADE
MADE IN ENGLAND (football-rugby shape)

Any info would be appreciated

Attachments

• Sasieni Made 46R Bent Billiard.png
    Sasieni Made 46R Bent Billiard.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 12

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would agree on the dating, most likely pre-war 9the stem's shape argues for this) or just post-war. A second. During the period, Sasieni seemed to be experimenting with different rustication styles that could be used for seconds, I've seen numerous different examples. We see they settled for the Old England rustication after the war by the 1950's. Here is one I have, the Ashford shape. I'm speculateing that the Sterling band was added to dress the pipe up a bit, there are no cracks at the shank end. The pipe was drilled for a stinger. The classic Sasieni Author shape.

And my comments about it,

The most interesting thing about this pipe is the rustication. During most of the pre-war period, all of the "seconds" were smooth pipes, but at some point Sasieni began to experiment with rusticated finishes on some of their seconds, finally ending up in the post-war period with the rusticated finish on the Old England line. Having seen a few of these, I would date the pipe to somewhere between the late 1930's ~ 1950. The stem also has that classic "chubby" pre-war look.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I would agree on the dating, most likely pre-war 9the stem's shape argues for this) or just post-war. A second. During the period, Sasieni seemed to be experimenting with different rustication styles that could be used for seconds, I've seen numerous different examples. We see they settled for the Old England rustication after the war by the 1950's. Here is one I have, the Ashford shape. I'm speculateing that the Sterling band was added to dress the pipe up a bit, there are no cracks at the shank end. The pipe was drilled for a stinger. The classic Sasieni Author shape.
View attachment 11165

View attachment 11166
And my comments about it,

The most interesting thing about this pipe is the rustication. During most of the pre-war period, all of the "seconds" were smooth pipes, but at some point Sasieni began to experiment with rusticated finishes on some of their seconds, finally ending up in the post-war period with the rusticated finish on the Old England line. Having seen a few of these, I would date the pipe to somewhere between the late 1930's ~ 1950. The stem also has that classic "chubby" pre-war look.

Thank you very much for the reply. Your pipe is a great shape and I very much like that rustication. Very nice indeed. I will be cleaning mine up and smoking it next week. I am liking it more and more each time I hold it. Hoping it is a good smoker. Do you have a Sasieni reference source you could recommend?

Reactions: dmcmtk

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sasieni catalogs would be a natural place to look but the few I've seen don't show any seconds lines. We do see price lists for Sasieni that show 2nd lines. I have one from 1936 showing the Royal Stuart. It's a bit unclear as to when 2nd's line production stopped (one would assume they went up into the 1970's?).

Reactions: SpookedPiper

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Sasieni catalogs would be a natural place to look but the few I've seen don't show any seconds lines. We do see price lists for Sasieni that show 2nd lines. I have one from 1936 showing the Royal Stuart. It's a bit unclear as to when 2nd's line production stopped (one would assume they went up into the 1970's?).

I have found the Royal Stuart info, but my pipe is marked only Royal Briar, not Royal Stuart. I have not found information for any "second" Sasieni that is called a Royal Briar, but if it were a Sasieni, would I be correct that it would not be stamped Sasieni Made, but would have the script Sasieni stamp?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have found the Royal Stuart info, but my pipe is marked only Royal Briar, not Royal Stuart. I have not found information for any "second" Sasieni that is called a Royal Briar, but if it were a Sasieni, would I be correct that it would not be stamped Sasieni Made, but would have the script Sasieni stamp?
Old England and Sashar 2nd line pipes do not use the Sasieni name on their nomenclature (only the football COM), so who knows. I missed the "Royal Briar" name aspect.

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes
Status
Not open for further replies.