PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulieVA

Lurker
Oct 8, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Bought this Peterson pipe about 2 months ago (Kilarney red series). Trouble when I first opened it. Carb coating was flaking and completely came off with a wet paper towel. Now the outer coating is coming off. My guess is that the pipe wasn't properly cleaned/conditioned prior to application. Do I contact Peterson or just cut my losses?10920

Last edited by a moderator:
The Fanatical Peterson Fan Club (FPFC) is going to cancel your membership for this post. They hate it when people get Petes that turn to crap. Of course they will justify their rage with, "he must have smoked it wrong," or "he abused it in some way..." Or, they'll tell you to shut up and just smoke the thing...
They especially hate photographic evidence... puffy because Petersons are all the best pipes in the world.

But, I truly hate this for you. I hope the vendor makes it good, and if not them, Peterson the company. May you find resolve to this with godspeed...

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I just feel like you are gonna have an uphill battle no matter what. It’s a couple months old and I’m sure had several smokes in it? But hey, it never hurts to try! Have read a bunch on here about some Peterson’s having the same issue

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Purchased it on 10/25/19 from smokingpipes.com. It has been smoked. It didn't knock on something, but started bubbling up when I was smoking it.
SP has great customer service, it’s worth a try. Like I said you might get somewhere since this was a common problem with some Peterson’s

Reactions: diamondback

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have my first Peterson due in the mail tomorrow. Posts like this really make it feel like a gamble. Like when you are waiting to board your plane, and see your Pilot accidentally trip on the carpet on his way up the gangplank.

I’m going to pretend I didn’t see this post and just wait for the mail. :LOL:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The Fanatical Peterson Fan Club (FPFC) is going to cancel your membership for this post. They hate it when people get Petes that turn to crap. Of course they will justify their rage with, "he must have smoked it wrong," or "he abused it in some way..." Or, they'll tell you to shut up and just smoke the thing...
They especially hate photographic evidence... puffy because Petersons are all the best pipes in the world.
this isn't trolling or flaming?

I asked because I know they will ask the same thing..

PaulieVA

Lurker
Oct 8, 2019
SP just got back to me and I'll need to mail it back for their inspection. I think that this problem arises from the gloss coating. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an issue with the Kilarney series. I like Peterson pipes, but this one didn't feel right from the start.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Purchased it on 10/25/19 from smokingpipes.com. It has been smoked. It didn't knock on something, but started bubbling up when I was smoking it.
I would contact them, then Peterson.. someone should make this right IMO. Obviously there was some type of issue with the finish.

I have a couple Killarney's and also a Jekyll and Hyde with the gloss red finish as well as a few green that have the same gloss and nary an issue. Probably a bad batch of prepping if I had to guess. (dust left on the stummel)

Last edited:

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
That sucks but at least they are willing to take a look. As with most things in life, they just aren't made like they used to be. And it's not just Peterson's but most assembly line stuff has declined, in general.

Good luck!

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Ouch ... poor Peterson. I'm intrigued by their history but repulsed by the frequency of piss poor quality. I'm sure they can produce a decent pipe on occasion but the odds sure seem low compared to other factory brands. If I were in your shoes I would send the photo directly to them for two reasons, 1) To let them know how bad their pipe sucked and 2) To give them a chance to redeem themselves. The issue with the pipe is Peterson's fault. Not the shop you bought it from.

I saw a Pete with this same issue on an ebony finish just the other day. This obviously not an isolated issue. You would think that a company's that has been around as long as Peterson would have figured out how to keep the finish on their pipes by now. The feeling I get is that they must not care.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.