Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have never considered how my pipe makes me look. Most of my smoking is in my garage / woodworking shop. The mouse that used to live there, never expressed an opinion on my pipes. I care what my wife thinks of me, but since she is asthmatic, I don't smoke near her. Thus, she doesn't care what pipe I smoke.

My criteria for a pipe starts with being a traditional shape. The majority are straight pipes, for ease of cleaning. I guess I pick my pipes like I pick my tools, for their utility. I will admit that when I bought my last hammer, I choose the one with the most interesting grain in the handle.

For some guys, only a pipe big enough to cover their entire face can help. puffy

If you only smoke setting in your garage or livingroom, what would it matter.

But, what I have noticed smoking at the Briary, is that seeing a big huge guy with a tiny little pipe is as ridiculous as seeing a small little guy with a huge honker of a pipe. And, it is even funnier if the two are setting side by side.

Me, if I am smoking on the tractor or alone in my studio, I don't care. But, I will grab pipes that my wife thinks look good on me if we are headed out together. I have no idea what qualities make a pipe "fit me" but I rely on her suggestions, as I am not the one who has to look at me.

All that said, I do prefer the image I project with a straight pipe to a semi-bent over a droop down my face flaccid bent pipe. Like ties, the things we adorn ourselves with give off subconscious Freudian cues.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I make my face fit the pipe, well sort of. The only time I pipe in public is at work or driving which means it’s cobs. Not going to take my decent briars on the road with my luck. So when you smoke cobs in public the only thing to do is grow a beard and make your face fit the pipe?10783
See what I mean??? :LOL:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Echoing my earlier post, and others, clothing and accessories if we include pipes, are governed by custom and trends, which require that people see pipe smokers to develop a sense of what looks good and what doesn't. No such customs and trends exist, so neither do these standards. What color parrot looks best sitting on your shoulder? Since most of us rarely see a parrot sitting on someone's shoulder (except aboard the Black Frigate) no standards exist.

Reactions: supperthyme

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I don't mind standing out in general, but in terms of what I want to smoke in public, I generally prefer small-medium, more humble looking, classic pipes. I don't entirely understand why, but I just prefer it. It sounds almost puritanical, which is certainly not a reflection of my values. There are some exceptions, as I just bought a little Bluebird Rhodesian which is a bit out there for me, and I admire many Neerup pipes, but I'm generally a billiard bowl guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.