PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
So last night I went to smoke and was too impatient to dry out my flake on a napkin like I normally do, so I put it on top of my coal stove (I heat with coal) After 5 mins it was almost bone dry and quite warm. It was arguably the best smoke I ever had. Flavor like I never had. I have seen the suggestion of microwaving your tobacco, maybe that's the effect you get? I don't own a microwave so I'll have to stick to the coal stove.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
After that smoke I would definitely say without a doubt that warming brings out the flavor. The disappointing thing here is that now all smokes when I can't warm will be sub-par

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife's home place in far north eastern Missouri has a stove that has both wood and electrical heat. Back to you and your wood stove, it sounds like a plan for a luxury pipe smoking lounge where your tobacco would be pre-heated on a wood stove. The motto could be "Flavor As Never Before." In Brooklyn, NY, this would drive the young fashionistas nuts! Probably in Boise or Milwaukee too.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and Mr.Mike
The disappointing thing here is that now all smokes when I can't warm will be sub-par
This is one of the reasons that cigar and pipe guys will do a slow ritualistic char before lighting. This wakes up the tobacco flavors. But, you have to sort of intentionally do it with the intentions of warming up the tobacco. So many times I have seen guys do a char light, looking like they have no clue what they are doing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So last night I went to smoke and was too impatient to dry out my flake on a napkin like I normally do, so I put it on top of my coal stove (I heat with coal) After 5 mins it was almost bone dry and quite warm. It was arguably the best smoke I ever had. Flavor like I never had. I have seen the suggestion of microwaving your tobacco, maybe that's the effect you get? I don't own a microwave so I'll have to stick to the coal stove.
basically you're just toasting the tobacco. Which a few pipe tobaccos do and almost every cigarette that still has some tobacco in do the same process. It changes the flavor as much as any other curing method.

Reactions: bnichols23

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Interesting. I only smoke a couple times a week, and usually its not planned in advance, so setting my tobacco out for an extended period of time to dry does not really work for me. This has resulted in often smoking too wet of tobacco. I may have to look into this is.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’ve never ‘warm’ dried my tobacco. I’ll have to try that.

Like Cosmic mentioned: I always toast the foot of my sticks and do a good char light on my bowls. Well, unless I’m smoking Five Brothers lol.

Reactions: bnichols23

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
This is one of the reasons that cigar and pipe guys will do a slow ritualistic char before lighting. This wakes up the tobacco flavors. But, you have to sort of intentionally do it with the intentions of warming up the tobacco. So many times I have seen guys do a char light, looking like they have no clue what they are doing.
I've always done a char light to encourage a well developed ember, but I was not aware it was for flavor. Should I set my pipe down after I char it for a few minutes?

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I've always done a char light to encourage a well developed ember, but I was not aware it was for flavor. Should I set my pipe down after I char it for a few minutes?

Check out the Delayed Gratification Technique (DGT). I’ve tried it a few times with varying results, but typically I just char, pause momentarily, and then true light and begin.

Reactions: Mr.Mike

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Coal stove? Cool! What part of the world do you live where you heat with coal? I live in the rural(ish) Midwest and I do quite a bit of my heating with wood. Forced air (gas) furnace is usually set to the mid-60's so I don't freeze my pipes (or wife) if I let my little wood stove go out, but I heat with wood as much as I can.

Check out the Delayed Gratification Technique (DGT). I’ve tried it a few times with varying results, but typically I just char, pause momentarily, and then true light and begin.

The so-called Delayed Gratification Technique is about the goofiest thing I've ever heard of! You'll never find a cigar or cigarette smoker lighting a half-smoked stick and calling it any sort of "technique", and with good reason - it tastes like crap. Same with pretty much every type of pipe tobacco in my experience, except Virginias, which can tolerate being partially smoked then set down, with the remainder of the bowl to be smoked later.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Coal stove? Cool! What part of the world do you live where you heat with coal? I live in the rural(ish) Midwest and I do quite a bit of my heating with wood. Forced air (gas) furnace is usually set to the mid-60's so I don't freeze my pipes (or wife) if I let my little wood stove go out, but I heat with wood as much as I can.

The so-called Delayed Gratification Technique is about the goofiest thing I've ever heard of! You'll never find a cigar or cigarette smoker lighting a half-smoked stick and calling it any sort of "technique", and with good reason - it tastes like crap. Same with pretty much every type of pipe tobacco in my experience, except Virginias, which can tolerate being partially smoked then set down, with the remainder of the bowl to be smoked later.

So... class-action lawsuit?

I’m in! :LOL:

Reactions: lawdawg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I do this all the time and I think the bowl usually still tastes fine.. ?

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I do this all the time and I think the bowl usually still tastes fine.. ?

I’ve done it a few times, but haven’t really gotten that into it. I know some swear by it on some blends...

Reminds me of a time I was smoking a stick (LGC Wavell, natural wrapper — great little cheap cigar). Anyway one of the guys had bought a Liga Privada T52. He very very slowly smoked about 1/8th of it and let it sit for ~30 minutes while looking at other cigars. Before he left he’d bagged it up to take home. I remember thinking “Yuck!” lol Hey the joke may have been on me, maybe it was better later that night. I can’t say as I’ve never done that. ?‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.