PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I used to have a Romanian PSL, made by Cugir Arms Factory.

View attachment 9472

It was too nice and I was hesitant to shoot it, so I sold it. ?

View attachment 9473

Now that's a piece of military tech ... I have shot one before, and its simplicity is just astonishing. Besides the mechanism of the rifle, which is roughly based on the AK family system, the optics on it is something too. First off it's side attached, which allows you to use the iron sights. Now 4x24 may not seem much, but if you learn how to use the grading on it and the turrets you can shoot this baby with ease at 800 meters. I think tops with the bottom cones beneath the reticle it can go as far as 1300 m, which is quite a difficult shot - but the weapon itself puts bullets down range at higher distances. This made me curious and I looked it up yesterday... a second hand original scope made by IOR goes for about EUR 250, which is quite a lot for a 50 year old piece of technology.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Now that's a piece of military tech ... I have shot one before, and its simplicity is just astonishing. Besides the mechanism of the rifle, which is roughly based on the AK family system, the optics on it is something too. First off it's side attached, which allows you to use the iron sights. Now 4x24 may not seem much, but if you learn how to use the grading on it and the turrets you can shoot this baby with ease at 800 meters. I think tops with the bottom cones beneath the reticle it can go as far as 1300 m, which is quite a difficult shot - but the weapon itself puts bullets down range at higher distances. This made me curious and I looked it up yesterday... a second hand original scope made by IOR goes for about EUR 250, which is quite a lot for a 50 year old piece of technology.
This one?

Psl_sniper_rifle.jpeg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm just not very impressed with the PSL-type rifles, as opposed to the SVT-40. I have an SVT with PU scope and original receiver-mounted scope base. That thing shoots knots at 200 yards with the right ammo. My only problem is the fluted chamber, which does a number on brass, is not conducive to hand-loading.

Pipe-Related Content: I will often smoke a pipe at the range. Stalin smoked a pipe, too, while pondering which large population black to murder next.

Reactions: madox07 and BROBS

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I'm just not very impressed with the PSL-type rifles, as opposed to the SVT-40. I have an SVT with PU scope and original receiver-mounted scope base. That thing shoots knots at 200 yards with the right ammo. My only problem is the fluted chamber, which does a number on brass, is not conducive to hand-loading.

Pipe-Related Content: I will often smoke a pipe at the range. Stalin smoked a pipe, too, while pondering which large population black to murder next.
block... population block...

Status
Not open for further replies.