Recommendations on Tobacco and/or Pipe Related Books?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
As my time invested in this hobby increases, so does my desire to learn more about it and the history behind it. With that are there are good recommendations for books to help scratch that itch? Or even films /documentaries for that matter? Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Reactions: Elric

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I like Alfred Dunhill’s The Pipe Book. It’s not exactly a modern treatise, but it’s a good part of smoking history, and used versions ca. Be obtained for about £5 or so.

Reactions: Elric
Oct 7, 2016
Carl Ehwa, “The Book of Pipes and Tobacco” is out of print, but lots of used copies are on Amazon. Ehwa was a McClelland founder.

There are two volumes of bound issue reprints of The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris, edited by Tom Dunn. They aren’t easy to find, and they aren’t cheap when they show up.

Reactions: dcon and Elric

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Carl Ehwa, “The Book of Pipes and Tobacco” is out of print, but lots of used copies are on Amazon. Ehwa was a McClelland founder.

There are two volumes of bound issue reprints of The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris, edited by Tom Dunn. They aren’t easy to find, and they aren’t cheap when they show up.
"The Book of Pipes and Tobacco" is on the way, shipped for $11.
"The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris" is going for $400-500 on eBay. That's a hard pass at this point. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Most of my physical books are still packed out of town from the move but here are a few kindle editions that I have on my phone.

Tobacco: A Cultural History of How an Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization by Iain Gately is a great retrospective on the history of tobacco.

Pipemen I have Known by Ted Woodley is an amusing collection of anecdotes and vignettes.

Mill River Smoke: Stories and Essays by Marc Munroe Dion - Quasi-autobiographical account of a pipe-smoking newsman with intro by Rick Newcombe and afterword my Mary Pulvers.

How to Scratch a Match and other Secrets of Successful Pipe Smoking by Millard C. Faught

Free Project Gutenberg Books
My Lady Nicotine as already mentioned. Buy a physical copy for the nightstand for pleasant dreams though.
Social History of Smoking by George L. Apperson. Every smoker should read it once
Smokiana by R. T. Pritchett is a fun read dedicated to that old curmudgeon King James I. Make sure to get an illustrated version though.

Pipe and Pouch, The Smoker's Own Book of Poetry
Smoke Rings and Roundelays - Pipes and Tobaccos
by Wilfred Partington
Nicotiana by Henry James Meller

Reactions: Bowie

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
K.M. Kuntz has a big table book called "Smoke" that I really enjoyed. Full of pictures of old advertisements and actors (including the great Edward G. Robinson) enjoying their leaf of choice

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
New to a pipe tobacco forum so am unsure in which thread to ask the few pipe tobacco related questions that I've been meaning to ask for a while.
Fingers crossed that one of the knowledgeable contributors here may be able to assist: in one or other of my queries-

1) As a UK pipe smoker does anyone know if CORNELL & DIEHL / G. L . PEASE pipe tobacco is available to buy in the UK?
I used to buy their Balkan and English blends from Tabac Rhein on trips to Geneva in the 2000s but as I don't go there any more and as I'm now running low on some of those blends I would like to re-stock if at all possible.

2) I used to buy a couple of the G.SMITH & SONS (of Charing Cross Road) blends - Old London 100% Virginia and Old London Oriental Blend (orange tin) - but as I recently discovered that they've gone out of business I became concerned - because I don't know who the blender is - that I won't be able to source further supplies. The only clue I have is the paper tobacco press inside the tins which is exactly the same paper disc with the same print that one finds inside Dunhill tins.

3) With the recent passing of the DUNHILL torch to PETERSONS I was wondering if there is now available an official - or even unofficial - replacement for my favourite Dunhill tobacco - Aperitif?

Any help or advise on the above would be greatly appreciated.

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
New to a pipe tobacco forum so am unsure in which thread to ask the few pipe tobacco related questions that I've been meaning to ask for a while.
Fingers crossed that one of the knowledgeable contributors here may be able to assist: in one or other of my queries-

1) As a UK pipe smoker does anyone know if CORNELL & DIEHL / G. L . PEASE pipe tobacco is available to buy in the UK?
I used to buy their Balkan and English blends from Tabac Rhein on trips to Geneva in the 2000s but as I don't go there any more and as I'm now running low on some of those blends I would like to re-stock if at all possible.

2) I used to buy a couple of the G.SMITH & SONS (of Charing Cross Road) blends - Old London 100% Virginia and Old London Oriental Blend (orange tin) - but as I recently discovered that they've gone out of business I became concerned - because I don't know who the blender is - that I won't be able to source further supplies. The only clue I have is the paper tobacco press inside the tins which is exactly the same paper disc with the same print that one finds inside Dunhill tins.

3) With the recent passing of the DUNHILL torch to PETERSONS I was wondering if there is now available an official - or even unofficial - replacement for my favourite Dunhill tobacco - Aperitif?

Any help or advise on the above would be greatly appreciated.

PM sent

Reactions: virkia

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Get old copies of Pipes & Tonaccos magazines if you can. Awesome source.

Richard Hacker wrote a number of books. I would say the info in them is good but his writing style is fairly self aggrandizing

in Search of Pipe Dreams 1 & 2 are one guy’s journey with pipes though I forget the authors name.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Get old copies of Pipes & Tonaccos magazines if you can. Awesome source.

Richard Hacker wrote a number of books. I would say the info in them is good but his writing style is fairly self aggrandizing

in Search of Pipe Dreams 1 & 2 are one guy’s journey with pipes though I forget the authors name.
I'm finishing up In Search of Pipe Dreams 2 (Rick Newcombe) at the moment. I found both volumes enjoyable, but would be interested in an up to date perspective.
Any knowledge/thoughts on the Pipes and Tobacco's online content? It looks to be subscription based...

Status
Not open for further replies.