PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
What does is feel like and how long can it last?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Not good. :oops:

But seriously, +1 to what chasingembers said.

Sometimes you may not know you have it until you drink something and your mouth starts stinging like a billion needles are poking it. At least I have experienced that.

I suspect this captures it best for most. How long it lasts depends upon the severity and your individual healing powers. I think it also varies depending upon whether you get a heat/steam or chemical reaction burn.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
I wondered what it was and why I kept hearing about it until some three weeks into my tenure as a smoker it got me. It's tongueburn (not sure why they call it 'bite' really) and as embers said, it's the same as if you burn/scald your tongue on a hot drink only it lingers far longer.

It came on as a gradual thing for me with the smoke burning hot against my tongue for maybe the second half of the bowl. I believe I smoked a second pipe later that same day, which was obviously a poor decision.

From start to finish, it stuck around for 2-3 days. It wouldn't be so bad during the first part of the smoke but by the end it was just unpleasant. The problem is I still wanted to have that one pipe smoke after work each day so I inhibited its recovery by not letting my tongue heal in peace. After using Biotene as recommended it was good as new by the third day though.

Sometimes I'll start to feel the hotness if I smoke more than once a day but thankfully I've never had that full burn since then. People sometimes speak of burning embers/tobacco pieces hitting their tongue while smoking, I've never had that and can confirm that you can definitely get tongue bite from the smoke alone—you'll likely get fair warning when the damage is being done.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
What blend were you smoking?

I have a couple of blends that give me a mild tongue bite when I smoke them...L.J. Peretti's Thanksgiving Day blend and Rattray's Exotic passion. I don't know why. I just drink water while smoking little bowls.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I had tongue burn when I have tried smoking things like Clan and Borkum Rum Rift or whatever it is called. The grand daddy of tongue bite comes from smoking Captain Monochromatic but I think thats down to the moisture content of that stuff converting into steam. Never had issues with the usual stuff like Condor Plug and any of the British twist tobaccos since they seem to burn slower and and at a lower temperature.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Feels like? Hell. How long? Depends on how stupid you went & for how long. ?
(Seriously. Some of us get the bite & keep on for a while anyway either just on general principles or because we don't want to not finish the bowl.) Usually it'll pass in about a day, at least from my own experience.

Bill

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I suspect this captures it best for most. How long it lasts depends upon the severity and your individual healing powers. I think it also varies depending upon whether you get a heat/steam or chemical reaction burn.

Yeah, agreed. Also on whether you put the pipe down when you start to experience it, or whether you man it out to the end of the bowl just on GP. There've been times when it'd be that for me. I'd let the thing cool down a bit, of course, but I was going to finish the bowl no matter what because I really liked the blend.

On a hot summer day, the sun flaying the flesh into red meat, a pipe full of Virginia #1, puffing as the exertion of stacking bricks makes my heart race, and I reach for an ice cold Mt Dew... sip... burn, the eyes fill up with tears and the wave of pain works its way out your arms and legs. it's not bad... at times, it can even feel kinda, I wouldn't say good... maybe an experience.

Tongue Burn is different. I actually split my tongue down the center in the beginning. It's not just a chemical thing. It is a mixture of steam, heat, and acid. I cooked my sinuses also when I split my tongue. I couldn't smoke for a month, and I was gargling with aloe juice several times a day. That royally sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.