PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I was in my local tobacconist's shop (The Tobacco Barn in Lake Forest, CA) recently asking about non-aromatics and the gentleman recommended a bulk blend called Grandfathers (a cube-cut? burley ), and a 2oz tin of Old Joe Krantz. I purchased both and had a bowl of each. I'm now out of Old Joe Krantz because I couldn't stop going to it but boy howdy does it pack a punch. It's a brilliant smoke with a glass of Tullamore Dew after a nice steak dinner but I want it to be an anytime go to smoke. I'm sure that I'll be buying some Haunted Bookshop, and a rope of something soon, but by all accounts, they're just as strong or stronger. Are there any tobaccos with a similar flavor profile/mouth feel but with less nicotine or is that just the nature of the beast?

I am working my way through the Cube-Cut Burley now. Enjoyable, but I haven't figured out the best way to load the pipe or tamping or something for a consistent burn. It may have my personal record for relights on a single bowl, going all the way back to when I didn't know s***.

Regards,
Dale

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I know what you mean about OJK. I can barely smoke half a bowl without getting woozy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am working my way through the Cube-Cut Burley now. Enjoyable, but I haven't figured out the best way to load the pipe or tamping or something for a consistent burn.
Just drop it in the bowl, light it, and only tamp with the weight of the tamper when it won't relight. Skip to 1:45 in the video.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I would consider OJK a mild, all day smoke. Then again, I've never gotten a nic hit from smoking a pipe.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I would consider OJK a mild, all day smoke. Then again, I've never gotten a nic hit from smoking a pipe.
I also have never gotten a nic hit from one pipe (granted, when i first started smoking i did). I get nic hits after a smoke couple of bowls, for example 2 bowls of OJK and Bayou Morning, in a 5hour time frame.

I did get a gnarly nic hit from snuss. Tried it once, for 15secs, disgusting taste and texture and threw it away.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I also have never gotten a nic hit from one pipe (granted, when i first started smoking i did). I get nic hits after a smoke couple of bowls, for example 2 bowls of OJK and Bayou Morning, in a 5hour time frame.

I did get a gnarly nic hit from snuss. Tried it once, for 15secs, disgusting taste and texture and threw it away.
I use virtually ever form of tobacco, and while pleasant, I've never gotten ill from any of them.

Reactions: B18

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I was in my local tobacconist's shop (The Tobacco Barn in Lake Forest, CA) recently asking about non-aromatics and the gentleman recommended a bulk blend called Grandfathers (a cube-cut? burley ), and a 2oz tin of Old Joe Krantz. I purchased both and had a bowl of each. I'm now out of Old Joe Krantz because I couldn't stop going to it but boy howdy does it pack a punch. It's a brilliant smoke with a glass of Tullamore Dew after a nice steak dinner but I want it to be an anytime go to smoke. I'm sure that I'll be buying some Haunted Bookshop, and a rope of something soon, but by all accounts, they're just as strong or stronger. Are there any tobaccos with a similar flavor profile/mouth feel but with less nicotine or is that just the nature of the beast?

I am working my way through the Cube-Cut Burley now. Enjoyable, but I haven't figured out the best way to load the pipe or tamping or something for a consistent burn. It may have my personal record for relights on a single bowl, going all the way back to when I didn't know s***.

Regards,
Dale

OJK is my daily. Haunted Bookshop is not as strong so you may want to try that sooner rather then later. Crooner will be starting back in as another daily with winter approaching.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I picked up some Oak Alley, OJK, and Haunted Bookshop last night which I will be delving into shortly but I wanted to give the cube cut another go. Your video helped @chasingembers. I had 3 relights but that's because I was talking to much.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Afraid I don't have any set answers here, but I do have a question, and if I get time, I may post an answer if possible. In pursuing the C&D pages these days, I see that there is not one Old Joe Krantz blend these days, but maybe three or four. I have on hand and have long enjoyed the original blend and seem not vulnerable to an overage of nic. But I suspect that at least one or two of the other versions -- they're distinguished by colors, like OJK White, etc. -- is/are less strong on nicotine. So if you are interested, look into that. SP would be a good source on this since they now own the C&D blends and should have the whole set.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I have noticed the different colors on line as well and have been curious. My local Tobacconist only carries Brown. I may have to order a tin each of the others. It could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.