PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After looking at all of the beautiful pipes on "Show Your Straight Dublins" I decided to show my ignorance. I did do a search before posting, but didn't get the information I wanted.
What is the difference between a Zulu and a Dublin (bent or straight stem)?

and

What is the difference between a Lovat and a Canadian (pipe not human)?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I'm gonna sit back and let the pros answer this one.
I believe a zulu has a bit more of a cant on it than a dublin. I could be wrong about that though.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I always thought a Zulu had straight sided or pot shaped bowls while Dublin bowls are wider at the top and skinnier at the bottom. Kind of like an upside down volcano.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Also, the classic Dunhill & Peterson Zulu shapes I have use a oval shank whereas most Dublins tend to be round.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
A Canadian has a long oval shank with a tapered stem.

A Lumberman has a long oval shank with a saddle stem.

A Liverpool has a long round shank with a tapered stem.

A Lovat has a long round shank with a saddle stem.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
True that, petes03. My take has always agreed with jgriff concerning zulu/dublin.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Pat, I'd forgotten about the Lumberman and didn't even know about the Liverpool! Very clear descriptions, I really appreciate the clarification.
Does anyone have pictures of a Zulu and Dublin side by side. I have to see the degree of cant. It was my understanding that Zulu and Dublins all had a slightly curved stem. Throw in a Yacht shape too!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
This may not be the best classical version of the two, but this is close to how I see a Zulu and a Dublin. A Dublin can be bent or not (it's mainly about the conical bowl shape), but I understand a Zulu to always be bent or curved.
Both shapes are classic and are to my knowledge, usually associated with Ireland.
zulu-dublin-514x600.jpg

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Just like the Prince shape is a specific kind of bent Apple (quarter-bent profile with an Apple-shaped bowl that's of a proportional size relative to both the shank and mouthpiece) so is the Zulu. In fact, a "true" Zulu (IMHO) is a Prince with a Dublin bowl. Anything else is just a bent Dublin. Just like any other kind of Prince is just a bent Apple.
Some shapes have big margins before the name falls off (Billiard, Dublin, Apple, Brandy) whereas some shapes are specific to a stricter set of criteria (Prince, Zulu, Duke, Cutty).
Just my two cents.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I always thought a Lovat was a short (maybe 4") billiard with a shank proportionally longer than its (saddle) bit. Whereas a Canadian is a longer (maybe 6") billiard with a shank proportionally longer than its tapered bit.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks hawke and Six! The pictures cleared up the confusion. GL Pease's descriptions and pictures really gave a great comparison.
Until the post of showing off your straight Dublins, I thought all Dublins were curved stemmed, hence the confusion with Zulus. Another great lesson!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
What is the difference between a Lovat and a Canadian (pipe not human)?
Can't say as I understand the not human comment, but if one likes the look of the longer shank and all that extra briar grain, they are gorgeous. They smoke well too!
After all, I'm a Canadian that smokes Canadians!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Both shapes are classic and are to my knowledge, usually associated with Ireland.

I had always imagined the Zulu to be an English shape with a name tied back to the war? Thanks for the info folks, it's great to nail down some specifics. Next I'll have to inquire what the real technical difference between similar Rhodesians and Bulldogs are.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My zulus are slightly conical. The paradigm for the shape, currently, is the Savenelli Oscar Lucite shape 404.

Status
Not open for further replies.