PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This is a curious question but one that has plagued me for years. Why is it that a fully fueled, flint loaded, Zippo lighter fail to light unless you snap it a dozen times? They work fine when new, but it seems after a few weeks they become a real struggle to ignite. It's not because there isn't enough fuel, or because of a worn flint. What could cause this and does anyone have any solutions?

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
The wick needs to be pulled up a little and trimmed. That always works for me, and I need to do it about every four to six weeks or so. Replace the wick when it's too short.

Jan 8, 2013
Zippos should be lit with an upward motion while striking the flint. Moving it up releases any vapor lock (like an air bubble or something)that will prevent it from lighting. Simply move the lighter from waist position to about the chest position while lighting. If that doesn't work, as Werdna said, the wick may need trimmed. Or perhaps you're not getting enough spark from your flint. Try tightening the screw that holds the flint.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
These suggestions really cover it. I've been selling Zippos for over 50 years. They just work.
Possibly the flint has found a 'worn' spot. Why not remove it and turn it over and try again.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Zippos work for me every time, I absolutely love them. With a few tricks you can prolong fuel life and it's all smoking heaven from there :puffpipe:

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
"I need to do it about every four to six weeks or so. "

Huh!??? I'm workin on 2 1/2 years and my wicks fine.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes PS and I'm forever lighting it.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
When you first fill them they sometimes vapor lock, blow on it. After a couple uses that stops. I did have one I bought for my wife that was a bit stubborn, sent it back, they fix them for free, works like a charm.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
My zippo sees pretty hard use, and I have never changed the wick in a few years. Lights first time, every time. I keep a couple extra flints under the felt. A little trick to prolong fuel life is to cut a small piece of tire inner-tube and work it over the zippo so it covers the intersection between top and bottom of lighter, where fuel evaporates. I personally don't do it because I just top mine off mine every 4 days even if it doesn't need it, but it's a good trick if you're going somewhere and you need your zippo to last longer.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
I see on 4 noggins zippos - what is that 2 sided flame as described - why flip it over if that is what it is for ?

is this different than your zippos? do these have flame adjustments & if so why 2 spouts ?

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
smokertruck asked:

"what is that 2 sided flame as described -

why flip it over if that is what it is for ?

- is this different than your zippos? ?
it's a pipe lighter ... rather than a conventional vertical flame, it comes out 'sideways' making it easier to direct onto the tobacco in the bowl of your pipe without scorching the rim of the bowl or your fingers that are holding the pipe ..

nyamuk

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
+1 Allan, all I've ever dome to my zippos is refuel and turn the flint until it needs replaced

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Check the flint wheel. You may find that it's become gummed up, where the tar has filed in some of the rough parts of the wheel, effectively smoothing it over. If that's the case, then use a toothbrush and alcohol to clean it up so that it's nice and rough again. You'll get a better spark. If that doesn't help and none of the other suggestions solve your problem, then auction it off on eBay as a one of a kind collectors item: the only Zippo ever made that doesn't light.

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
BryanF: thanks I didn't know how to conserve fuel. I'll try that.

volyd

Lurker
Nov 22, 2013
Yes, I do know this problem, and I also found a solution, that helped me:
I've found out that every (new) Zippo, that refused to light, had the same problem: the wick in the cotton runs along one side of the Zippo only, and apparently doesn't get soaked enough.
Take out all the cotton, and start laying the wick in an "S" shape from left to right, with cotton between the curves. So it's one layer cotton, curve and lay the wick all over that cotton layer to the other side, cotton on top of that, rinse and repeat till all is in place again.
Doing this, I've never had any lightning problems with my Zippos again, and they pretty much always light with one strike. I hope I explained it well enough with my wonky english :) .
And

"I need to do it about every four to six weeks or so. "

Huh!??? I'm workin on 2 1/2 years and my wicks fine.

Dan
Same for me, my Zippo with the pipe insert works for more than a year now, didn't have to trim yet.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the tips, guys. I didn't know anything about vapor, and the lighter ignites easily after I gently blow on it. Also, the wheel could well be gummed up, and that's easily cleaned. Common sense, really, of which I am always in short supply, so thanks for pointing these things out to me.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Oddly enough, just as was reading this thread, my trusty Zippo failed to light. Turns out I needed a new flint (easy fix), but the timing has me a little spooked now - are you guys watching me? 8O

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Radio807's advice about the wheel is sound and comports with my experience. If there is fuel, a decent bit of wick sticking out, nicely distributed through the cotton, and flint, the wheel is really the only thing. The sound of striking is so much more crisp when it's clean. I tend to do it with everclear and Q-tips when I'm cleaning my pipes. Takes about thirty seconds.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
The first Zippo I ever bought was when I was in boot camp in '83'. It was the smaller model and very fickle.I ended up giving it away. The only other problem I have ever had with a Zippo is they don't float unfortunately. Note to self; don't bring your Zippo with you when fishing. I have just picked up two pipe inserts ( one regular and one of the new Thunderbird butanes ) and I am so happy to be using my Zippos again.

Status
Not open for further replies.