PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
While going through some old stuff I came across a 1972 Zippo lighter that belonged to my Pappaw with his initials engraved on the case. It needs a wick and a flint along with fluid and felt pads but all this shouldn't be too much trouble. I have seen online that there are special Zippo inserts for lighting pipes but I was wondering if one could light a pipe with a regular insert? Thanks in advance.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I don't recommend using a Zippo at all. Lighter fluid will impart a distinct flavor that butane and matches do not. I'd say to save it as a keepsake but never use it to light anything you're smoking.

kb7get

Lurker
Nov 10, 2012
Yes, they work fine for it. I have been using them for over 40 years to light my pipes.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I don't use my zippo much except when I go fishing and camping. The zippo is great in windy or cold weather. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to light your pipe in the wind. The zippo comes through like a champ.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
You can send it to the Zippo manufacturer and they will refurb it, and if you request the pipe insert they will send one with it... for the best possible price... free.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Zippo's work just fine, that's all I use and yes you can use a plain Zippo to light your pipe but like Rothnh said send it in for the pipe insert it will work better for lighting your pipe.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I'm a dedicated standard Zippo user. I have ever tried the pipe chimney and just keep the wick a tad longer. Matches do do a better job than any lighter but I've not figured one-handed match technique out.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have the zippo pipemlihhter and it doesnt impart any funky taste on the tobacco. However I do fint it hard to re light when you're near the bottom of the bowl as you really have to draw hard to get the flame down to the bottom. I ended up getting a decent butane that makes it easier to get the flame to yhe bottom of the bowl.

hesed

Lurker
Feb 11, 2013
I have a chrome zippo with the pipe insert and it works fine. Just let it burn for a second or two and it will be fine.
hesed

Jul 15, 2011
A little bit of cool Zippo knowledge for you:
For the longest time (they havent done this for probably the last 10 years or more), whenever you would send your Zippo off to the factory for repairs, they would return your lighter with a prepaid postage manilla envelope in case further repairs were ever needed, and attached to that envelope by a little gold chain was a penny with a hole through it that Zippo claimed was...
"The Cent Never Spent to Repair a Zippo"
Theres you guys' useless knowledge for the day.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
That sounds like an awesome zippo to have, putting a pipe insert in would work great (the case is what's important and has the character, imho). If you don't want to send it in, you can get a pipe zippo for 15 bucks and just switch the things out-thats what i did, and I now have a spare.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I have a Zippo everywhere I sit. Including car. Use them everytime I light up.

+1 hesed.

One of the best companies in the USA, like Cross Pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.