PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick

Lurker
Jul 24, 2015
I just bought a new Zippo pipe lighter. This might sound like a dumb question, but is there any compelling reason to keep the cap on the top of it? I removed mine making it more versatile. It still seems to work exactly the same for lighting pipes, but also works like a normal Zippo if I light the occasional cigar or someone else's cigarette for them.
I just have this nagging feeling that Zippo knows what they're doing and put it there for a good reason. Maybe in the wind it will cause the flame to become erratic or something?
Anyone have any negative experiences from removing the cap?

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
If you're referring to the metal surrounding the wick, that's the wind screen. It is what makes a Zippo wind proof, and also what makes a Zippo a Zippo. I use my Zippo pipe lighter for everything, just hold it sideways and the flame comes right out of the top.

patrick

Lurker
Jul 24, 2015
I'm just talking about the top cap that's only on pipe Zippos and not the regular ones. It comes off "for maintenance only," according to Zippo's website.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Mine fell off and was lost. The zippo still does its job well for lighting pipes and is quite windproof. It's a bit harder to control the flame when holding it vertically like you would a normal zippo ie for lighting cigs because the flame tends to go through any of the 3 holes at will, especially in the wind.
If I hadn't lost the cap I would keep it on, but it's not like the zippo is useless without it.

Mar 1, 2014
I have to ask, how do you guys light a pipe with a Zippo? (Pipe adapter or not)

As far as I can tell the wick basically needs to be touching the tobacco to burn it, when I draw it doesn't really change the direction of the flame.

A bic works great because it throws the flame into the bowl (I just hold the bic upside-down), I just about don't have to draw at all for it to work, which seems far preferable in terms of not frying my mouth.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
As for me, I love Zippos for the iconic style and all. But for pipe lighting, they are a no-go for me.
I taste the fluid and find them hard to use.
Xikar Scribe, or just a Bic, seems to work better for me.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Without the pipe adapter it us a major pain. With the adapter I just hold the lighter horizontally and gently draw the flame to the baccy. I find it works great. Also, I notice the flame is centered more over the bowl instead of across it, resulting in much much less bowl charring. If I hold a bic upside down I get charred bowl and fingers.

At the end of the day I guess the only thing that matters is if the pipe is satisfactorly lit, the method being secondary.
Edit for clarity

patrick

Lurker
Jul 24, 2015
Never had a problem lighting a bowl with the pipe Zippo. A regular one would be rather difficult. Doesn't need to be that close for me to draw the flame down into the bowl. I did get a bit of the fuel taste the first time I used it though. It went away after a couple of puffs. Never has happened again. I bought it at a tobacco shop and they filled it and I think they over-filled it which may have caused the taste. It's weird, a lot of people complain about the taste and others swear they never get a bad taste. I guess whatever works for you is what you go with. I use matches at home and the Zippo when out and about.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I had a Zippo pipe lighter that I lost the cap on the lighter. I found that it didn't work as well for lighting my my pipe outside without it. I contacted Zippo and they sent me a new cap for free. I should mention that I only use the lighter for pipes, but I can't imagine that using it for anything else would be a problem. I don't seem to notice any fuel odors if I let it burn for a few seconds before light my pipe. It is the only lighter that I use outside, and inside I use a Savinelli/Corona lighter that has a soft flame. Some seem to have a problem with the fuel smell, but I never smell it for more than a few seconds. Anyway, just use what works for you, and happy puffin...

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I have a Zippo pipe lighter, and I only wish that it was my first pipe lighter! The pipe model is simply the best system which I have ever used, and I don't know how one would think it isn't versatile for cigarrete lighting without altering it. Just position it horizontal over the bowl and draw, or for anything other than a pipe hold it the same way underneath. I love how easy it is to get a good light, and that ring protects the bowl rim from scorching. I've been through several right angle lighters, and on full bowls they still burn the piss out of once-nice finishes. However, it's probably not the best option in cars.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I have a Zippo pipe lighter, and I only wish that it was my first pipe lighter! The pipe model is simply the best system which I have ever used, and I don't know how one would think it isn't versatile for cigarrete lighting without altering it. Just position it horizontal over the bowl and draw, or for anything other than a pipe hold it the same way underneath. I love how easy it is to get a good light, and that ring protects the bowl rim from scorching. I've been through several right angle lighters, and on full bowls they still burn the piss out of once-nice finishes. However, it's probably not the best option in cars. It also doesn't have switches that fail on you after a few month's use, another 100 dollars wasted.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Orley, agreed on the Zippo odor not being a real issue. Naphta does smell rude, but it need not ruin the smoking experience when managed well. Since I discovered that I need not draw so hard when lighting, I haven't noticed the odor after letting the fuel burn for a few seconds. I find it also helps to avoid overfilling the bowl - having some play down from the rim makes the difference between almost impossible and very easy lighting, and easy draw keeps the odor away.

Status
Not open for further replies.